We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Some time ago I seen a beatles set that had been restored By a professional,they touched up the boys signatures around about 15 percent of the signatures were reworked.

Does anyone have any idea if this is a good idea to have signatures restored and would anyone have any pictures of reworked autographs.

Does it effect the value of the sets or signatures?

Views: 7424

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is one example - it was years ago - I think it was a tourbook of a 1969 The Temptations concert at London albert hall - they had Ringo, George and Billy Preston and the Temptations on it. They erased all but the 3 and it was offered together with Paul and John from 1969 as a  "Get Back Session"-set.... As far as I remember it wasn`t mentioned how the tourbook once looked (and to be honest I have no idea if the then seller was told by its owner before)....

Thank you for showing this example.   I probably am taking this all too seriously but in my not so humble opinion this was an act of vandalism.  Taking a historic piece and obliterating signatures for "a nice display."  Furthermore I personally think the signatures look odd now without the context of why they signed where they did.  I may have mentioned this before but if someone really wants to do this why not take a picture photo shop it the way you like and frame along with the original. You get the best of both worlds in that way.

yes - the original shows why they have signed the way they did - and as for the Babe Ruth balls - this paper looks too new now...

That's so wrong because it's not a restoration job.

And that was once a George on a white cardboard card that was implanted into a White Album and sold on Ebay without mentioning it....

Time for my blood pressure medicine.

And the shame was:

I once owned that card. I knew where it was signed from the seller. Then I bought some memorabiilia from that event.

When i sold it i sold the card with the memorabilia.

When the White Album appeared it was sold with my memorabilia and the place and date the card was signed claiming the album was signed...

I can imagine what you thought when you saw what happened to it.  It is like taking a perfectly good horse and drilling a hole in it's head for horn just to say what a nice Unicorn.  It is not a signed album it is an album with a pasted cut signature albeit skillfully pasted.   It is a clear example of fraud and only shows the sad level some sellers sink to.  Thanks so much for sharing these examples of the unknown horrors out there.

great post scott-LOL!

Thanks Dave.  I think gone unchecked this will have a negative effect on the hobby as far as big ticket items go.  I know I would think long and hard, and ask a lot of questions before bidding on something that looks too good.  This is obviously being done primarily by those interested in increasing the asking price of an autograph.  Personally I would have preferred the index card.  It also means that the major Third Party Authenticators will have to start schooling themselves in regards to this practice.  The problem is they will likely just say yes that is a genuine autograph and leave it at that.  People will be at the mercy of the seller to disclose and that in my opinion is unlikely.  Even if caught they will say oh I bought it from someone and they didn't tell me.  So many ethical questions in an hobby already riddled with deceit.  I know I am taking the extreme negative position on this and others likely will see it as making their autographs "better."

Yikes to that lifted Harrison.

The beatles 65 album on Steve Crykins page that were discussed it could be a put together because of the unusual nature of it they signed beatles on a album which they don't do and the provenance doesn't add up. I think the pennys dropped.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service