We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

This set looks good to me, but I'd be interested to hear your views on them.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Lewis

Views: 2305

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's what a forger's job is...to make it look as close to the original as possible...the set is a fake.

What do you consider to be "glaring mistakes" on this piece?

The set is one of the better attempts however is still not an authentic set...some mistakes are....the "r" in ringo, the "s" in starr, the "lennon" is very bad, the "p" and "l" in paul the "harrison" is horrible too....if you look carefully you'll see where the pen stops where it shouldnt for example the "j" , john, the "r" in ringo, the "m" in mccartney and the "o" in harrison...the line under Mccartney is done by a right handed person, we all know that Paul is a leftie..... these are un-natural pauses made only when someone is trying to copy something...after looking at it for a minute or two...you'll easily realise that this is crap...it was offered on ebay....5+plus years ago but there were no takers on there.

I actually did an evaluation on these yesterday because I thought someone was asking me about this item, but it turns out they were asking me about something else.  I happen to agree with Beatleworld's concerns, as I share them.  I am not as adament that it is a fake, because I am not totally convinced, but there are things that are really off.  The "Lennon" bothers me more than anything, followed by "Paul" and the end of Mccartney, including the line.

I like the "R" in "Ringo". It has the down and up formation to begin the letter, and the subtle bend before the end of the letter. The shape looks right. The pen stop in the "J" in "John" appears to possibly have been caused by the ink flow, and not a stop and start. Wouldn't the line under the Paul go from right to left? He would finish the "Y" and continue on to form the line from right to left. I have a Macca autograph (from many years later), and the line also appears to begin at the right. Look at the light transition from the "M" in "McCartney" to the first "C". Very well done, if it's a forgery.

I don't what else to write...they are 100%  not...authentic in my opinion...the only place for them is the bin.... as I said earlier a forger's job is to make them look identicle....I'm surprised that some people think they are good.. another reason there are so many fakes out there...easy money and an even easier sell to the right person...if people think these are good...then there must be some horrors out there in peoples collections !!!

Fair point Beatleworld. You raised some very good reasons. They could be deemed good forgeries because a lot of collectors probably would consider them original.

after really studying this set, beatleworld is right. this is a very good fake. the thing that led me first to say it was real was the inscription, supposedly by ringo, done very well. the tip off to me is the 2nd 'g' in george, fake.

xpert, that is one of the things that bothered me also. along with the P and L.  there were enough things that bothered me about this that I would vote no.

I'm going to go with authentic for this set (I wish more people would commit themselves to an opinion one way or the other, nobody likes to  appear to be wrong but a good concensus can only help in the long run IMO). All the signatures appear to be in late 62/very early 63 style. To those who are alarmed at John's signature in this set, check out this John Lennon signature from the same period. It's certainly very similar to the autograph in this set.

Of course I could be wrong and if so then it's a very alarming development that good forgers are becoming wise to the variations in The Beatles signatures over time, it has always been the downfall of many forgers. Somebody mentioned a 'Joe Long' signed Double Fantasy being withdrawn from Ebay very recently. I saw the image before it was withdrawn and the signatures (John & Yoko) were both very much 1980 style and different to the 70's type signatures he is more well known from (I did have some direct dealing with Joe Long back in the 80's.)

Hi Karl, no one has a problem with the first set its the 2nd one which is the forgery.

Thanks for clearing up my confusion Beatleworld. The second set does indeed have some issues that throw doubt in my mind, mainly the John Lennon and Ringo Starr. The  joined John Lennon seems to be too 'complete' for a circa 1965 set and the 'Starr'isn't typical either. TBH I'm going to have to put this as uncertain in my mind, I wouldn't be surprised if they were genuine despite the apparent faults either though, if they are forgeries they are alarmingly good..

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service