We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

Hi, I found this one on Ebay, seller says its signed in 1973 right after the release of his first album. Never seen an autograph this old, and the price is all too high I think. Bruce was unknown to most people in 73, and maybe his signature looked like that back then?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bruce-Springsteen-GREETINGS-SIGNED-JANUARY-...

Views: 3262

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are there any more news about those set lists Mark? Made me a little bit curious there.. 

The signed "Greetings" early signature looks authentic to me and I know Bruce did an in store signing in New Jersey when "Greetings" was first released in 1973 (although no way it will sell for anything near 5 grand!)  Here is a similar signature that I obtained years ago from RR Auction (signed in late 1975 at Philly's Tower Theater New Year's Eve show).  I also have a signed contract from 1973 that exhibits similar traits.

I love that!!

When did you purchase it from RR.  Billy from Walls of Fame used to provide RR with some Springsteen items - BEFORE Roger came on board at RR Auctions.

NO expert here.. but that looks very very close to the Greetings one...

Mark

Don't remember the year it was purchased but Billy Smith had alot of real Springsteen stuff in his earlier days.  I have no way of knowing if he consigned my Newsweek to RR Auction but it looks right there with other '73-75 samples I have and RR said it was obtained in person by someone who attended the 12/31/75 Tower Theater Show in Philly.

Yea - the whole Billy Smith thing still has me puzzled...

I agree is looks incredible!!  GREAT piece!  Looks like you have it all framed up and displayed!  

Mark

Hi Bruce, great item. Do you have a picture of the contract too? I agree, $5000 is too much. I think I would be willing to pay up to $3000 for a nice one from 73-75. That would have to be a real nice one, and more or less 100% guaranteed genuine..

It looks somewhat similar to the one on the Greetings-album, but there are some clear differences too. I`m still not sure if I will believe the Greetings-album real or not.

The 1973 CBS contract is in a safety deposit box so I can't get to it easilly.  Was offered $9000 for it a few years ago but didn't need the money so I kept it. Maybe I should've sold it?!  Remember the Newsweek was from 1975 and the Greetings LP from '73 so there should be small differences. I think it's good but of course, not 100% sure.

$9000? That`s the highest price i`ve heard on any Bruce-item. I wouldn`t have sold an item like that. Hope you can show it to us one day. 

I have studied all the great signatures in this thread now the last hours, and I must add that Bruce Juice`s Newsweek, and the ones Bjarte posted looks very similar. They are all from 75 though. Would have been great if there were others from 72-73 to compare with. The greetings looks a bit slow and contrived, like calculated and forced. Like Roger said. But that may also be Bruce himself looking for a style in those early days. 

The man selling the Greetings answered me on Ebay now, and he`s in fact Norwegian. He also said that he paid MORE than $5000 when he bought it..

Is it real, its fantastic. Is it a forgery, somebody has committed a real good crime here.. 

Here is another example from 1973 -- I believe from that same record store signing in New Jersey:

Another very nice piece, is it in your collection? This is becoming a really interesting and educating thread. Love studying these old Bruce-signatures. 

Look at the "F" and "r" in "From" in this one, and the one on your Newsweek, and then the same letters in the Greetings. The Greetings looks a little bit different, doesn`t it? IF the Greetings is a forgery, it looks like the person has made a real effort in copying Bruce`s name, but forgot to be as careful in the salutation. But again, Bruce was only 23-24 at that time..

I also still think the Greetings look a little bit more contrived than the one you have here. I really would loved if the Greetings really was genuine, that`s why I think its worth this scrutiny. The seller seems like an honest guy, so I believe his story, it is its  history before he got it that is interesting in this case.

I am enjoying this thread!  

Mark

The one above is much smoother and nicer then the one at the start of this blog.  It flows right.  It has the unusual capitol "R" in From but I think it is authentic.

Below is a letter that Billy gave me for my exemplar file back in 1994.  This looks to be the "template" for the LP at the start of this blog.  I bet he didn't think this letter would come back and bite him in the butt almost 20 years later.  That's my opinion.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service