We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

Fake Autographed Premiere Poster Crisis? (Iron Man 3 $1300 fake)

I got an email today with realized prices from the recent Nate Sanders auction and an Iron Man 3 premiere poster caught my eye:

http://natedsanders.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=15656

It has a gorgeous COA with a pretty hologram. The only problem is every autograph looks like a blatant forgery. The only one that comes close is the Stan Lee autograph. 

Now, I've seen these kinds of things on ebay, but never on an auction site as reputable as Nate Sanders. What could be going on? Oftentimes when these are on ebay it's usually the same deal: big summer movies or box office smashes, pretty COAs, tales of premieres, holograms, limited editions. They put a lot of effort into making these seem legit, and I guess it causes people to overlook the signatures themselves.

So where do these come from, and why are they now being recognized by established, reputable dealers? There's nothing I'm missing here... those are fake signatures, right? Are the letters/homogralms/etc. fake too, or are studios producing these as freebies and then throwing "secereterial signatures" on them?

Views: 8658

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Love the forum, long time stalker, but this post caught my eye so I figure I would post (also sorry to resurrect an old-ish post)

Here’s the thing with these posters…I have a cast signed Thor 2 poster that I won of off eBay. Nice big signatures and all. I also have a Thor 1 poster signed by Chris Hemsworth that was purchased from Celebrity Authentics. I compared both signatures and both are exactly the same. I even compared the Stan Lee signature on it as well (he signed my Avengers poster at Wizard World Chicago, that guy is just a signing donkey at this point) and that looks good.

There are also a few different types of these cast signed posters as well. Some will have the black stamps at the bottom which are the red carpet “street graph” styled posters and that’s why some of the autographs look different, those ones I do not touch. They may or may not have the same people that are on the non blacked stamped versions.

As for the dark knight rises one (I have that one as well) the rep from Warner has signed it. Hillary Harris…if you google her name, she will come up in the Warner web page as an event coordinator. If these posters were fake, why in the world would someone just pick her name and start signing?

Maybe they are real, maybe they are fake, maybe I want to believe but I have a good feeling these are the real deal. Plus, if things were not on the up and up I’m sure DC and Marvel would have at least come out saying they are fake.

Sorry for the rant, and yay to my first post hahaha

Hey Adam, welcome to the funhouse.

Any signed movie poster I have has either come directly from the studio (Hugo, Bad Grandpa, Amazing Spider-Man, Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters, Jackass #2) or were signed in person (Iron Man 3, Need For Speed, Django Unchained (my avatar, no less), Scott Pilgrim, Divergent).  I'd tend not to buy anything else, but I'd definitely avoid anything stamped/hologrammed.   

Remember that if you could google the name of an event coordinator, so could a forger. The key with these posters is the forgers go above and beyond with stamps and stickers to keep people from looking at the autographs.

Please post the autographs here so we could review them. That would be the best way we could help you. 

I worked for Warner Brothers Records for years. When I originally heard about these I contacted a few of my contacts over at the label and they came back saying the movie portion does not issue COAS and they sure as heck don't sign them as they could lose their job. A big rule is only ask for autographs when authorized for the rare charity auction. Surely not some dude standing on the sidewalk. If they sign for a charity they have a table set up and as they walk by they sign a few, No sloppy signatures as its on a table. The only people who say they look off because they where obtained on the street are just saying that the explain why they are selling fakes. Isnt it odd these posters are usually pristine yet been handled by sometimes 15-20 people on the street?  You would think they would look pretty beat up considering. Now if backed by a cardboard then their is no excuse for sloppy signatures. 

If and I mean IF one got through its MAYBE through a charity. Then a COA is not needed as the source is the studio and I can assure you Warner Brothers wont sign them so the charity event may issue one. But what I can tell you is if it has a pretty COA hologram and stamp on the poster I wouldn't touch it. Most if not all I seen are BAD forgeries mostly signed by the same person including some in this very topic. 

Agreed, I asked about the stamping because I think I know what "stamps" he's talking about and those posters with stamps, in my opinion, were fakes. 

Post pictures of your posters Adam, I'd like to see the stamping you're talking about

here is a picture of the thor poster i was talking about. none of the ones i have, have the black stamp i was talking about. if you look at the superman one on the page before, you can see the stamp on the bottom left. again, it just seems odd that if they are fake, why marvel or dc would not come out and say they are.

This Thor poster is not authentic. Every signature is way off. 

If I had to guess, based on what's out there, I would guess that your poster is not authentic.
Is that supposed to be Stan lee's signature to the right of the title? That's terrible.
The hologram, the company "COA," the use of several different colours, the exaggerated signatures, how neat everything is placed, the rather cheap price for what it sold for should all be red flags.

what about this?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service