We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Frances Gumm aka Judy Garland 1943 & into A Star is Born

Here is a Judy Garland signed photo postcard I just added to my collection. This is an MGM publicity photo for Presenting Lilly Mars - her first film role as an adult. 1943 was also the year of her first solo concert. The blue fountain signature fits right into 1942/43 with the "d" and underline among other features. She has just dropped the capital "G" in her last name. Not so very long after OZ - only 4 years - but this was her 10th film since The Wizard! She was released from her MGM contract in 1950. Another gem from HD.

Views: 539

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And as compliment, an original 1954 tinted still from A Star is Born. I had this same still when I had my previous, lesser Garland, and am pleased to have it yet again. Yes, I also have a killer James Mason C. 1945 to go with this all. But he represents A Journey to the Center of the Earth in another sub-collection! :)

Unfortunately this still had to be returned. It had a matching set of staple  holes in the middle of the image! :(

Here is James Mason:

It seems nobody likes vintage anymore. Buyers market. That's OK with me. :)

Eric - I love vintage when I can find it.

I just acquired this and it arrived today.
Robert Taylor sepia. Crisp & Clean.

Lovely! Double weight or matte finish?

Matte Finish.

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer stamped on the back.

Turns out with some digging this Garland SP is from 1943's Presenting Lilly Mars. I have adjusted the title and text above. 1943 marks her first solo concert :)

It is interesting to note the basal portions of her signature construction that were retained and visible as late as the 1960's.

Here again in 1954 are additional traits seen as early as 1943 - see the baseline of the last name:

Unfortunately, the 1954 A Star is Born still arrived with a matching set of staple holes dead center :( Returned. I found this original MGM single weight still from another film, Thousands Cheer of 1943, which depicts her singing at a piano. I swooped it up - my small signed photocard is also 1943 and signed in those years - perfect match. The vertical stripes are scanner artifacts

This still did not work out either - but I found a nice 8x10 from the same 1943 shoot:

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service