We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Judy Garland Authentic 1954 Vintage Fountain Pen Signature, 1960 & 1965 Ballpoint Signatures with C. 1961 Fan Club Autopen

Hello All,

Here are some scans I came across of some vintage Judy Garland signatures I used to have. This also a decent sample of some of her signing styles over the years.

The first is a signed "TV candid" from the Grace Cunningham Collection of TV Candids showing Garland, according to Scott Schecter who worked with Liza, during the second broadcast premiere of The Man with the Golden Arm. Blue fountain pen. Typical elongated letters, "y", "g" and "d" of the period. That is Grace's "X" in ballpoint showing where to sign. My goal was something close to A Star is Born of the same year.

The next is the song list from a complete program from 1960, signed in ball point with a signature typical of this period with the in person extreme slant and now typical "d' form - seen even in the Autpen below. This was my favorite example - clean and strong.

The next item is a program from Canada, Saturday, 2.13.65, matinee. Signed on the same image below, but a printed version, by Garland and also then husband Mark Herron. This is rather late and legible for Garland. Loose but well formed with an even lighter than usual hand, by 1968 more of a scribble.

Last is her C. 1961 Fan Club 5x7 photograph which I have seen sell as hand signed more times than I care to say. Under a glass the jagged nature of all curves is readily apparent. i have seen this in both blue and black with varied placement. I value these, with envelope and letter, at $50 to a collector. A detail of the signature is proved - I wish I had a larger scan to show the jagged curves - they are very visible with a glass or scanner.

Detail of Autopen signature:

I hope this is useful.

Eric

Views: 780

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For those who collect autographs IP, I envy that type of access but admire the hard work which goes into it. I'd love to do something like that as a business as its something I'd really enjoy, the travelling etc. Be great fun. However, you couldn't do it all on your own - you'd need a team, definitely. 

I always think you should do a job you enjoy.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service