We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

As far as autograph collecting and music fan experiences goes, I find the range of stories I hear about various meet & greets to be pretty fascinating. I've heard of people paying modest fees (or nothing) for wonderful, fun experiences - and other stories of fans shelling out large amounts of money for a massive disappointment. And, of course, everything in between.

I thought we should have a comprehensive thread on the topic.  Have you been to a pre-show or post-show meet and greet or know someone who has? Was it a bargain or a ripoff? What was the mood - structured and hurried or casual and fun?

My favorite band does meet and greets at every headline show they perform on this tour, chosen at fandom by fans who sign up for their fanclub and enter the show-specific drawing. There is no charge, and (usually) I don't believe a show ticket is even required. They were asked about this in an interview early this tour, and the response from one of the band members, Martin, was pretty passionate about musicians who charge high prices for meet & greets. FYI: I get that this band isn't quite a household name yet, so there might be a sentiment of "Who are they to say . . ."  However they have an interesting perspective as both successful musicians with Top 10 records and huge music fans themselves).

Here's that portion of the interview:

https://youtu.be/l1da-ZW_3OA?t=6m48s

Views: 14622

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think it's important to understand that any m&g experience might not be indicative of ALL of them, for the genre itself and for the artists involved. Circumstances and luck might play a bigger role in whether these things play out as expected or not. And I also think we have to separate a paid signing at a show from a concert venue m&g- very different animals in my mind. In fact, I don't even consider a show signing as a m&g for some reason, having participated in a few of those and never had a bad result, mainly because it was all scheduled ahead of time, there were outside forces having some control over the event and the people involved were there just for the signing, not any other event and could be dedicated to it by itself. I've done a ton of sports collectibles shows where they brought in athletes to sign and it was pretty routine, organized and simple to accomplish. It just seems, from my experience, that the concert/music m&g have more variance and possibility for dissatisfaction. Maybe because it's a newer thing than show signings and fans expectations aren't in tune with what really happens. Descriptions for these m&g are sometimes vague, sometimes in great detail. I'd want to know exactly what I'm getting for my $3k before I wrote that check, and I think some fans might have the expectation that they will meet the star in a room alone and be able to chat for 15-20 minutes..

Always interesting to see meet & greets for rising stars. Just had this one emailed to me today. Not the most infuriating price, but the experience seems a bit blah. I guess it really does come down to how big a fan you are.

This is for Melanie Martinez in Milwaukee. Obviously not a household name, but she does seem to be getting bigger in a hurry. Sounds like no autographs or one-on-one photos. Kinda a bummer.

Tickets:

• General Admission $27.50
  • VIP $75, includes: 
    Pre-show "Soundcheck Party" which includes early venue entry, an opportunity to watch Melanie perform during soundcheck, a group photo opportunity with Melanie, and priority access to the merchandise area following the photo opportunity.
The VIP package for this upcoming summer's Brian Wilson 50th anniversary Pet Sounds have been announced. Only a few shows have been listed so far. It shows both Al Jardine and Blondie Chaplin scheduled still.

Brian Wilson Ultimate VIP package: $499

A Premium Reserved Seat in the first 5 Rows
Access to a Meet & Greet with Brian Wilson
Individual Photo with Brian Wilson
Exclusive Soundcheck Experience
Early Entry into the venue
First Access Merch Shopping
One Signed 50th Anniversary Pet Sounds poster
One Signed lead sheet of 'God Only Knows'
One Commemorative VIP Laminate

If a show comes near me again I will for sure get this package. The only thing worrysome is it doesn't list bringing in your own item...Not sure if this will be a policy. You will get two signed items through the package however.

That actually isn't too bad . . .

Someone mentioned Pet sounds?
No meet greets in Australia. But the show should be fantastic.
Oh that is a bummer they don't offer it. It is going to be amazing to hear Pet Sounds in its entirety.
He plays the bluesfest which is a big 3 day festival, then Sydney opera house and a show in Adelaide. It will be great hearing the sounds from the great composer!
I seen the othe b.boys play a number of songs with the sydney symphony,its something.
Who else is playing the festival?
There's a guy named Mike love funny enough.
The blind boys of Alabama.
Tom jones.
Jackson browne
Ub40
The wailers
taj mahal
The decemberist
Steve earl
Don mclean
The original blues brothers band
Noel gallagher
Cold war kids
heaps aof acts
Nice! A lot of good acts!

Paul when did you see Tom Jones?  was it in the past two years?

Terrier, Tom jones is playing with Brian wilson at a festival that im going to early next year.
Adam just ask me about who was playing. So it's not a meet and greet but Tom can swing.
Ill be watching them the same day Brian and Tom.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service