We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

On December 2, Julien's Auctions is selling The Collection of Tompkins and Bush. The collection contains 465 lots of Michael Jackson memorabilia, 287 of them autographed.

Michael Bush and the late Dennis Tompkins were Michael Jackson's costume designers for 25 years, during Jackson's most successful period. They were the consignors of the signed Thriller jacket that Julien's sold for $1,800,000 in June 2011.

Almost all of the autographs in the Tompkins and Bush sale are a variation I'm not familiar with. I've only been looking at Jackson's autograph for a few years, though, and we have members here who have collected him for decades, so I'd appreciate your input and exemplars.

If you know Michael Jackson's autograph well, please look at a few images below from the auction and let me know what you think. Even better, browse the auction and upload any similar examples you have: http://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/77/

Julien's is the world's premier auction house for Michael Jackson memorabilia, so they would know his autograph better than most of us. I'm just surprised I haven't seen this style before.

Thanks for your help.

Tags: 2012, Julien's, auction, michael jackson, tompkins and bush

Views: 130635

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

don't know what's going on..

can't edit anything or reply to anyone..

BEAT IT single.. i've looked again.. it does look real.. especially 1998 !!
Justin, regarding 1998, Michael told me in October 2008 in Bel Air that 1998 was the year he knew he wanted to have children. I asked him why he used to use that in his signature , that was his answer, along with "wowwww you really know!"- he was surprised I remembered about that...he really didn't totally grasp how much we knew, that was an obvious thing I ask! God I miss him...

I know Michael Bush has said it was a random number they made up for mystique, he says this in his book too.

I prefer Michael's version :)

Sandy, I could listen to your Michael memories forever, makes me feel close to him, too. :(

I read Bush's interview back in July. I had a foreboding from what he said in that "interview". It was NOT ringing true to me. Not the 1998. Not CTE. I heard History being rewritten and I didn't believe it. Michael was too much about symbolism for these things he purposely manifested to mean "nothing".

Mind you, this July article publicizing Bush's book was after Tompkins and Bush had sold the Thriller jacket for 1.8M.  I used to really like MLB. Thought he was a nice guy, true friend to Michael. He lost me after the 2010 Thriller jacket sale.

BTW, beautiful to hear why he wrote 1998! Always thought it was the year he thought he would leave our planet. The real story which MJ told you is a much happier one. :) Glad to hear it!

I feel in addition to wanting to make $$$ a lot of this has to do with DELIBERATE DISMANTLING of his persona and specifically his MESSAGE. Do not believe the BS about the tape and CTE being accidental. There is meaning in all that MICHAEL put out in front of the public. Some forced on him by the industry and some put out by him to try and deliver his own message. Bottom line is Michael WAS very DELIBERATE in his use of symbolism. He was an utter perfectionist and every detail of his costume had a reason for being there.
Sandy:

How could Michael have told you that the "1998" was the year he realized he "wanted to have Children" when Prince was born in 1997 and Paris in 1998? Maybe you misunderstood him?

I appreciate everything that everyone is trying to do - It's amazing to read all of the different, separate postings analyzing this situation!!!
I'm having same problems, I can't reply to anyone, only new posts, not sure if its cuz I'm on iPhone. Hate the way this board works, VERY hard to follow all the threads/replies...cant keep going back & forth into posts to read new replies, should just be a linear running discussion. Sure I've missed tons because of the setup...
(Sorry Steve!)

Totally agree!!!!!!!

Steve, nooooo!!! We have to try to STOP IT!!! Think bigger, don't give up!
If anything can we call the police down to the exhibit to investigate the FRAUD.
It is criminal activity, why not involve the police ?
This is really really REALLY bothering me, if this auction happens and they get away with this it is a tragedy.
We have to stop it. I hate this sort of s***.
No offense but why keep posting autographs to just debate if they are real or fake. We are discussing the BUSH autographs and we have already TONS OF KNOWN AUTHENTIC autographs.
We don't need more examples to debate. We need to get authorities involves to stop this fraudulenr auction from going any further!
Bombard TMZ with this...they can be good for something...
Contact media...put the pressure on!!

good idea- more publicity the better, but they are just going to say its the CRAZY MJ fans. They have to know real Pros are questioning these.

Start reporting this as FRAUD to California Consumer Protection Agencies:

State:
California Department of Consumer Affairs
1625 North Market Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95834
916-445-1254
916-445-4465
916-445-2643 (Correspondence and Complaint Review Unit)
Toll free: 1-800-952-5210 (CA)
TTY: 916-322-1700; Toll Free: 1-800-326-2297
E-mail: dca@dca.ca.gov
www.dca.ca.gov

County:
Los Angeles County Department of Consumer Affairs
500 West Temple St., Room B-96
Los Angeles, CA 90012-2706
213-974-1452
Toll free: 1-800-593-8222 (L.A. County)
TTY: 213-626-0913
Fax: 213-687-0233