We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

On December 2, Julien's Auctions is selling The Collection of Tompkins and Bush. The collection contains 465 lots of Michael Jackson memorabilia, 287 of them autographed.

Michael Bush and the late Dennis Tompkins were Michael Jackson's costume designers for 25 years, during Jackson's most successful period. They were the consignors of the signed Thriller jacket that Julien's sold for $1,800,000 in June 2011.

Almost all of the autographs in the Tompkins and Bush sale are a variation I'm not familiar with. I've only been looking at Jackson's autograph for a few years, though, and we have members here who have collected him for decades, so I'd appreciate your input and exemplars.

If you know Michael Jackson's autograph well, please look at a few images below from the auction and let me know what you think. Even better, browse the auction and upload any similar examples you have: http://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/77/

Julien's is the world's premier auction house for Michael Jackson memorabilia, so they would know his autograph better than most of us. I'm just surprised I haven't seen this style before.

Thanks for your help.

Tags: 2012, Julien's, auction, michael jackson, tompkins and bush

Views: 130595

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Veronica,

I checked out lot 707 and it is not genuine in my opinion. It looks nothing like genuine Michael Jackson autographs that I've ever seen before. It is the same style autograph that we've found about 280 of in the auction. I'm aware of only one "expert" who is backing Julien's on these.

What's distressing about this sale is that Julien's proceeded with it after they were well aware that no one in the legitimate autograph industry has come out and said they think they're genuine.

Have you paid for it yet? If you have, I have a feeling you'll ultimately get your money back. But if you haven't paid for it, or shipping, I recommend waiting until things shake out.

So sorry you got burned, Veronica! If you know any other bidders, please spread the word. It's horrendous thinking of all the people who've been defrauded here.

Veronica,

I'm so sorry you bid on one of the hundreds of forged items in the Juliens-Bush auction.  Lot 707
MICHAEL JACKSON SIGNED BAD TOUR JACKET is not an authentic Michael Jackson signature.

Please know that Steve's and TeamMichael's offers to help you ARE genuine, should you decide to contact them.

I hope you will not pay for this item, or will ask Julien's for your money back, if you've already paid.

I am glad you found your way here to us.  Again, I'm very sorry this happened to you.  It should NOT have.

xoxo

It's lot 707
I'm not sure it's a Bush item.

Bad sweatshirt? Nice shirt Fake autograph- it is a Bush item. Complain to Juliens and ask for a refund.

Veronica Lot 707 Bad tour jacket is a forgery, but i will wait for others to comment, if you would like, please email me here, Manager@teammichaeljackson.com so i can put you in touch with couple of experts. If you have paid for this item by CC you can file a complaint with your CC company and get the payment reversed, there in enough evidence posted here http://teammichaeljackson.com/archives/6804   to support your case, and if you email me we will support your case so Juliens can not dispute the facts. Your lot is not listed on the link provided, the styles are identical, the smoking gun is here, this item was not manufactured until after Mr Jackson passed away, CONFIRMED by Official MJ Merchandise agent http://teammichaeljackson.com/archives/6887 

On the other hand, if you want to bring awareness to this fraud, then i suggest you file a lawsuit against Juliens. Members of the public should be protected by auctions such as these, Darren Juliens was AWARE of the lots offered by him were under scrutiny! It was his duty to halt the auction and have ALL 400 plus items professionally authenticated!! But instead Juliens banned fans that questioned them prior to auction going live online and on site

If you are a winning bidder of anything in Julien's Tompkins & Bush sale, autographed or not, I recommend that you consider not paying for the items you won or for shipping until things are sorted out.

Since virtually all of the signed items in the auction are widely considered forgeries, that casts doubt on the unsigned items in the sale as well, and may taint them permanently, whether they're proven to be genuine and correctly represented or not. Even the genuine items in this sale may end of having a provenance that is considered less desirable, and that may affect their value.

Please feel free to email me at editor@autographmagazine.com if I can help you in any way.

And don't lose your love of collecting! You can learn how to collect safely here on Autograph Magazine Live. It's not hard!

Sincerely,

Steve Cyrkin
Editor & Community Manager
Autograph Magazine & Autograph Magazine Live

uh owe Steve, Julian isnt going to like that. I have a feeling another lawsuit comment is coming, along with a new story about you on ANL and AA.

On a side note though, it looks like all the hard work from the members in this thread payed off. At least one person has been directed to this site who purchased an item at auction. Hopefully they will see the huge amount of evidence pointing to the items being likely forgeries and will get their money back. And that can only lead to more and more people coming here as word travels. I had my doubts that the Julians sell would ever have consequences b/c of the money involved, but i am now beginning to think that Bush and julians may have to pay big big big time on this one.

I hope we're seeing the start of an avalanche here. I don't know if you saw, but Lady Gaga bought at least 3 items with suspect autographs for BIG money. I'm waiting for her people to wise up to this. If she starts asking questions the game is up.

Oh yeah Steve, i wanted to ask you one more thing. If this goes the way it looks like it is heading, and the items are recognized as forgeries produced by Bush, will Julian have any way out. I know that he was  warned many times about the items and still insisted they were real and didnt pay any attention to the evidence, so will he have any wiggle room. If the items are recognized as forgeries, it would make sense that Julian would try and put as much distance between Bush and himself as possible, and state that he had no idea and that he thought the source was beyond reproach. But will that hold water since he was warned, and his responses to it have been recorded in writing as well. If it does go down like that, i can potentially see this being very bad for Julians, especially with the level of dedication of the MJ fans, they simply wont let this be forgotten. I have to say that they have had more of an effect than probably any authenticator ever would have had.

Carl, let me give you an idea of how effective Michael Jackson advocates are, One jacket sold last year for $1.8 million, last auction 55 items for $1.7 Million!! Thanks to experts/Steve and Michaels true friends, we saved the general public Millions of dollars.

Great point.  Appears we cut into their profit margin.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service