We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

On December 2, Julien's Auctions is selling The Collection of Tompkins and Bush. The collection contains 465 lots of Michael Jackson memorabilia, 287 of them autographed.

Michael Bush and the late Dennis Tompkins were Michael Jackson's costume designers for 25 years, during Jackson's most successful period. They were the consignors of the signed Thriller jacket that Julien's sold for $1,800,000 in June 2011.

Almost all of the autographs in the Tompkins and Bush sale are a variation I'm not familiar with. I've only been looking at Jackson's autograph for a few years, though, and we have members here who have collected him for decades, so I'd appreciate your input and exemplars.

If you know Michael Jackson's autograph well, please look at a few images below from the auction and let me know what you think. Even better, browse the auction and upload any similar examples you have: http://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/77/

Julien's is the world's premier auction house for Michael Jackson memorabilia, so they would know his autograph better than most of us. I'm just surprised I haven't seen this style before.

Thanks for your help.

Tags: 2012, Julien's, auction, michael jackson, tompkins and bush

Views: 130592

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If it wasn't such an outrage it would be almost funny that people fall for these things, especially frauds that are so easy to research, like that brooch, or fake AMAs or, indeed, bad autograph fakes.

I bet the fraudster's argument would be that anybody stupid enough to fall for something like that deserves it :/

They are auction houses also besides Juliens. People trust those places. It seems no place is safe. We thought Juliens was but now its buyer beware everywhere. It really is sad. Its fairly easy to be a fraud. No body seems to check out anything.

This is too much for me.

PLEASE TELL ME Julien's auction did NOT sell an MJ autopen signature as a real signature for $7,680.

Juliens Music Icons auction - June 24, 2010  -  Lot 456  -  Sold for $7,680.  

Michael Jackson Signed Lithograph 

"An NPA Lithographs, limited edition black and white framed photo portrait of Michael Jackson numbered 349/600 in the lower right. The photo is signed in gold pen, "Michael Jackson." The photo was taken by photographer Mathew Rolston who photographed Jackson for the inside cover photo spread for the Bad album. 16 1/2 by 16 1/2 inches"

http://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/3/lot/456/

(No wonder the photo is so small.  No close up photo of the "signature").

From August 2009 Autograph magazine, Kimberley Cole article:

Yes, that's an autopen or letterpress signature for sure. Sold for over $7,500.

Yes Steve. I just found another one on eBay with larger photo of the autopen.  I uploaded it.

I just don't see how anyone makes this mistake - buyer or seller. There are always people trying to sell the autopen Moonwalk book on ebay and I always PM the seller to tell them its an autopen!! Agggh! In one case the seller changed the description, but still. Absolutely Unacceptable for a major auction house!!

Most fans and collectors don't know and rely on the reputation of the auction house.

I've seen them.  You're better than me to PM them.  I just get angry thinking the seller already knows and move on...  :(

Here is another of the same limited edition lithos.

eBay auction which ended unsold on December 9, 2012.  This one made out to Frank, with the same autopen MJ sig.

It didn't sell for $330.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Michael-Jackson-Man-In-The-Mirror-signed-nu...

I just cant see MJ signing that small.....maybe  its just me! LOL  But it is a very clean signature! ; ) 

Good grief. Wendy i said it before and ill say it again. You are Bush and Julians worst nightmare right about now. Wow, that is just shocking. I wonder if they sent this one to their appraiser friend who apparently is the worlds best at authenticating MJ autographs, even though they dont even authenticate autographs. I mean Wow, im beginning to ask myself the question "What hasnt Julians sold"??

I'll take that banner humbly but graciously.

Meanwhile:  Good question, Carl.  MJ's kitchen sink maybe?  I don't know, let me check the previous catalogs...

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service