We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

On December 2, Julien's Auctions is selling The Collection of Tompkins and Bush. The collection contains 465 lots of Michael Jackson memorabilia, 287 of them autographed.

Michael Bush and the late Dennis Tompkins were Michael Jackson's costume designers for 25 years, during Jackson's most successful period. They were the consignors of the signed Thriller jacket that Julien's sold for $1,800,000 in June 2011.

Almost all of the autographs in the Tompkins and Bush sale are a variation I'm not familiar with. I've only been looking at Jackson's autograph for a few years, though, and we have members here who have collected him for decades, so I'd appreciate your input and exemplars.

If you know Michael Jackson's autograph well, please look at a few images below from the auction and let me know what you think. Even better, browse the auction and upload any similar examples you have: http://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/77/

Julien's is the world's premier auction house for Michael Jackson memorabilia, so they would know his autograph better than most of us. I'm just surprised I haven't seen this style before.

Thanks for your help.

Tags: 2012, Julien's, auction, michael jackson, tompkins and bush

Views: 130306

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I thought you all might like to see this one. It was sent to me today and is for sale. What do you think?

MICHAEL JACKSON HAND DRAWN CHARLIE CHAPLIN

11 X 14 art paper, Charlie Chaplin sketched in red ink and signed in full by Michael Jackson adding 85

Accompanied by a letter of authenticity from renowned pencil artist Lee

I'm not comfortable with it.
You need Roger on this sketch. I didn't realize that it wasn't bing represented as sketched by MJ. It may be OK.

This comes with it. I think it is a neat example to compare the Julien's items to.

So MJ did draw it. The description posted with the drawing yesterday was confusing, because Lee Tompkins is an artist, too. I haven't seen many of his drawings before except The Wiz inspired ones. 

Chad, for input on something like this you need someone who knows Jackson's drawings. I'm curious, though, how much is it?

Michael used many different drawing styles and mediums, it's not easy to pin down. Mostly though his lines are more fluid. This was obviously done from a photo, which could account for the the more hesitant, "worked" lines. Felt tip is difficult for this kind of drawing, which could account for the awkwardness of the mouth.

As a professional artist myself, I remain sceptical.

And I don't think it's a very convincing LOA to say he's compared it to others.

I agree. its fishy to me. I dont think lee Tomkins would need to compare it to anything. The LOA anyone could make up. Especially if the signature is a copy and not original.

You have to email her for pricing. She has http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICHAEL-JACKSON-SIGNED-FAMILY-MENU-INVITATI...

on ebay right now for $2000.00 so I would assume this art is priced higher.

I'm sorry Chad.  I'm not comfortable with it either.  This style MJ signature typically dates from the mid/late 1990's onward  (minus the extra "bump" on the "i" in Michael).  I don't recall seeing an MJ signature from pre-1990s where he used a one stroke linear J.  (at least not in Thriller era.. I don't even think in the Bad era).

1985 was Thriller/We Are The World.  So Mike's signature would have looked something more like this:

Also, the drawing isn't quite MJ's style.  It looks like someone used techniques that he used when drawing, like in Chaplin's hat.  But the eyes look "flat" and the mouth is not how I believe MJ would have draw it.

Time for the professionals on this one.

Wendy,

The sketch comes with an LOA from the artist. MJ didn't draw it.

Ahhh, well that's good to know.  So now it's about the signature.  The starburst on top IS very creative :)

And now it could have been signed after 1985, so that makes a difference too.

Has anyone ever seen a starburst on top of the N?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service