On December 2, Julien's Auctions is selling The Collection of Tompkins and Bush. The collection contains 465 lots of Michael Jackson memorabilia, 287 of them autographed.

Michael Bush and the late Dennis Tompkins were Michael Jackson's costume designers for 25 years, during Jackson's most successful period. They were the consignors of the signed Thriller jacket that Julien's sold for $1,800,000 in June 2011.

Almost all of the autographs in the Tompkins and Bush sale are a variation I'm not familiar with. I've only been looking at Jackson's autograph for a few years, though, and we have members here who have collected him for decades, so I'd appreciate your input and exemplars.

If you know Michael Jackson's autograph well, please look at a few images below from the auction and let me know what you think. Even better, browse the auction and upload any similar examples you have: http://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/77/

Julien's is the world's premier auction house for Michael Jackson memorabilia, so they would know his autograph better than most of us. I'm just surprised I haven't seen this style before.

Thanks for your help.

Tags: 2012, Julien's, auction, michael jackson, tompkins and bush

Views: 130341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Don't believe it. Julien's has sold duplicates of hats and there was more than one silver Bad shirt, so if they're trying to say its a one-off, they are FABRICATING FACTS yet again.

Thats what I am saying. I dont think Juliens has said that.  Some tour worn outfits surely had doubles. He couldnt wear the same exact thing every night of a concert. I am saying unique Jackets he wore were probably one of a kind.

Ok folks here's my take on these;

I wanted to let you all speak your mind on these before I said anything as I didn't want to be the one to jade anyones opinions on these autographs.  Even though this blog is getting a little "silly" right now in regards to this topic, the signatures are what they are.  In my expert opinion ( and I have busted a few forgery rings of MJ) these are not authentic and not even close.  Now just because I say this doesn't mean that Juliens is going to change thier mind on the sale.  I have heard through the grapevine that Darren doesn't like me and thinks I'm out to get him.  That couldn't be further from the truth.  All I want is authentic autographs to be bought and sold in this hobby, end of that story.  I have proven time and time again by sticking my neck out on the line to make this happen, at least in the music part of the hobby.  Have I been fooled before, of course but I learn from my mistakes and I never have made that many to begin with.  When a variant signature style comes out "in bulk" it opens everyones eyes as this blog shows.  In my world I see this happen quite often but they are almost always caught before the collectors even see them.  This auction is a real mess and its not going to just go away.  If Bush is the consigner then he needs to fess up, without that the sale will go on in my opinion.  That's all I have to say on this topic.

Roger Epperson is the top music authenticator in the autograph industry and widely respected. He is also my go to guy for modern music, and helped put an end to American Royal Arts, which once was the world's biggest seller of forged music autographs.

Thank you for your respected input, Mr. Epperson. You are right, it is a mess - a real mess. I truly wish we could stop this. The media won't touch this (bought).  Word of this will not be the global spin of the day.  The law agencies seem MIA.  Greed wins.  The integrity of Michael Jackson's Legacy and the autograph collectors community lose.

Thank you Roger for your expert opinion on these autographs. It means a lot to have your opinion and that of Michael Frost and other authenticators experienced with Michael Jackson's signature.

Thank you Roger for standing up for the truth,,,

Hi Wendy,
Sorry if I haven't made this clear: I am not an autograph authenticator or appraiser. I run Autograph, that's all. But I've learned a good amount over the years. I always to make it clear that I'm not an expert...that's important.

Hi Steve, I understand. Would you like me to delete my post and reword, or can you just edit my sample letters from where you are? Thanks.

Wendy,

Do you have a copy of this? If like to delete it and make suggestions.

Steve, I'm sorry! I just saw this. Do you want me to post an attachment?

No problem. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service