We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

Hi, one member in this forum just got something to my attention: a person on ebay is selling RP`s of an autograph I own. I bought this autograph by Bruce Springsteen on RRAuction in June this year. The picture he`s got on Ebay is clearly copied from RRAuction.  Can this be legal? Is it any way to stop this? I have already reported it to Ebay, and contacted the seller.

The listing on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271217399364?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_...

My autograph: 

Views: 1957

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good that its taken down. Funny how I just came across it after you had just shown me a picture of the autograph.

Yes, lol. But thank you for bringing it to my attention Ciaran. :-) I am not against people making reprints of autographs, but not without permission/cooperation with the owner. 

Maybe its something to learn here too, I will consider putting a watermark or something on pictures of my own sigs I post in the future. Not funny seeing it on other places on the net sometimes later :P

I dislike reprints overall, because 1) They're cheap, tacky and worthless and 2) most are of terrible forgeries anyway.

Figures that one of the few reprints of an authentic autograph is because the seller stole the image.

No problem mate. I would have done the same thing to them also as its just plain weird to have someone selling a reprint of one of your own autographs.

I agree Trond and I know this isn't the case with your item because it is a promo photo, but imagine how the actual photographer feels about his images being reproduced in bulk for autographers to get signed and resale. It is all illegal to some degree when you think about it.

Similar situation happened to me.  I got an autograph I posted on here to ask if it was legit (not even 100% sure it is) and somebody obviously copied the signature I posted and used it on preprints. 

Here's the thread - http://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/ebay-seller-has-phot...

How do you put watermarks on a picture? I'd like to do that with my sigs up right now.

I`m not sure what is the best way to do it, maybe somebody on the forum knows?

I agree Rich, reprints is not something I would make myself, and they are worthless.

Sorry to hear that I`m not the only one in this situation Geoff, but I guess people are willing to do anything for money, stealing, forgery, you name it. Sometimes hard to believe in peoples good intentions anymore. :P

Just got an excuse from the seller on Ebay, so don't think he did it with bad intentions though.  

Thanks for the help Trond. I think ill do that from now on. And ill go ahead and do that for the few I have online.

Keep in mind the pre-prints really cheapen the item to potential customers of your authentic item. If people keep seeing the same image over and over again it becomes less than unique. I know it seems strange that a pre-print could have any affect on an authentic piece, but in a round-about way it actually does. I don't think preprints are going to be going away anytime soon but they should be clearly labeled within ebay titles and not just descriptions. Ebay.ca has a search option that allows you to type in -preprint or -rp, i'm sure it is that way in the states too.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service