We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

I would really appreciate help from my friends on AML. Back on August 15th, there was a discussion about a Michael Jackson signed "Thriller" album:

http://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/michael-jackson-thri...

Some members, including myself, thought it was an authentic example of Michael's early-80s autograph. The seller posted this:

"This is Michael Jackson's Thriller album, autographed by Michael. The album and autograph were obtained when I worked at Tower Records on Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood, California, at the time of the album's release. Michael Jackson, who visited the store frequently, was shopping in the store. After helping him with his requests, I pulled a "Thriller" album off of the rack and asked him if he would sign it. He said "sure" and sat down, taking off the shrink wrap and signing it for me in my presence. This was not obtained from a dealer: its provenance is flawless. After thanking him, I took the album to the back room and put shrink wrap around it to prevent any wear and tear to the album cover or the autograph, which was made with a permanent black Sharpee marker. The album has never been played and the album cover and autograph are in excellent condition. Any "cloudy" look to the above picture is due to the layer of protective shrink wrap that I put on it. Exceptional Large Autograph!"

It was not authenticated, but I believe her story very much. It was the only item she was selling. So it's not like she's has some huge inventory of questionable autographs for sale, which can be a red flag. She also said she worked in the entertainment industry for years.

Here's the problem, I paid PSA/DNA for a Quick Opinion which came back "Likely Not Genuine". However, I have personally known people who got in-person autographs that PSA/DNA said were not good, even though they ABSOLUTELY were. I have a friend who did a private signing with Mickey Mantle years ago, and PSA/DNA rejected over 40 Mantle's that she had signed right in front of her!

This MJ Thriller looks really good to me when compared to other vintage MJ autographs, except I don't think he usually dotted the "i". The sharpie ink also looks old to me. But I have seen some Mantle i's dotted and not dotted too.

The thing is if I buy this and then send it in and PSA rejects it even though it is good, that almost renders it worthless.

I would appreciate any and all help and opinions on this. There are pics below.

Views: 1282

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

James it looks like the 85 photo I posted. I'm not up to speed on Jacko. Psa are a hit and a miss.
We will see what the hard core collectors say.
Ok, I'll have to take a look at that photo. I'm not sure if I did before.
Hi , don't sorry it's an authentic "Thriller " album signed .
If the story was wrong , the signed are real .
Do You have bought it ?
She's allowing me to pay her next month. So you think it's real? Can you tell me why you like it?
Oh, another thing to mention: the seller said she would provide me with a letter stating how and when she obtained it in-person from Michael. And she said she would sign it and provide her address and phone number. I don't know why, but when the seller is a female, I feel like she is more likely telling the truth!
" don't worry "
Well, thank you MichJack. I am guessing by your name that you are an MJ fan.
Wascher, do you have any more thoughts on this MJ Thriller album. I still lean toward it being good. I think it matches up very well with other vintage MJ items of about 1983. The only thing that seems different is the large circle-dotted "i". But to me, with everything else considered, including slant, flow, and older-looking ink, the "i" should not disqualify it. I know most of the time MJ did not dot the i, but sometimes he did. He may have just playfully done it that way on that particular occasion.

I saw Sydney Sierota of the band "Echosmith" said, "You know...everytime I sign an autograph, it's noticeably different!" I thought it was interesting to hear her say that.
I've also heard that JSA is better with music autographs too. I'm beginning to think PSA/DNA Quick Opinion is almost worthless. I'd like to know who is doing that Quick Opinion - probably some 18yo kid, because I really believe the seller's story.

And this is the only thing she was selling. In fact looking at her history, she usually only buys on eBay.

Hello I think you can check with Roger.......maybe he will offer a opinion to you.

PSA quick opinion is worthless.......

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Through some research, I have been able to verify that the 62 year-old female seller of the Michael Jackson signed "THRILLER" Album did, in fact, work for Tower Records in West Hollywood many years ago as well as Warner Bros. Records. Furthermore, Michael did shop many times in that store. I think that this is significant information. She also belongs to a group of former Tower Record employees of the West Hollywood store.

This information coupled with the close similarity between the THRILLER autograph and other vintage Michael Jackson autographs leads me to one conclusion: she is telling the truth and this MJ THRILLER signed album is AUTHENTIC.

Once again, PSA/DNA Quick Opinion service got it wrong!
UPDATE No. 2: I was able to get the seller's phone number from eBay, and I talked to her directly. She seemed very nice and very believable regarding this, the only item she is selling on eBay. She told me that while she worked at the Tower Records store in West Hollywood, Michael Jackson shopped at the store three times, every time with a bodyguard and at least once with another celebrity. And she pulled a Thriller off the rack and he signed it for her in her presence. She will provide me with a notarized letter to that effect.

She has also worked for Warner Bros. Records and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts. She is currently the publicist and U.S. manager for the international classical music composer Kento Masuda of Japan. I confirmed this on his website. Business Wire says that she has been a publicist in the music industry for about 30 years. This is the only thing that she has sold on eBay in at least 4 years. But I think this may be the only thing she has ever sold on eBay. So any doubt about the authenticity of this Thriller signed album is now gone. This autograph source would appear to be iron-clad.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service