We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

This is a thread created to evaluate Redd Foxx's signature.

HOWEVER,

It has come to my attention that Redd Foxx may have authorized his secretaries to sign his checks.  If so, this makes even checks (which are usually the safest bet) doubtful.  

Here are some checks and other Redd Foxx signatures to judge on.

The checks have a consistent signature, but if they are indeed secretarial that would greatly affect how we view his signature; JSA passed one as mentioned above.  

Views: 3936

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow i am surprised by this one.  I wish i knew what criteria JSA uses to authenticate Foxx signatures.  If I had seen this without the JSA I would have passed it by.

Hi, Mike. How do you know this is a legitimate "1980's in-person" autograph. Thanks.

Pete: I said it was in person from another collector; I don't know how exactly it was obtained I was just told it was obtained IP.

The "Redd" part of the signature is spot on.

The last name, again, is always peculiar with Redd but we dont have enough exemplars to make a conclusive opinion.  

Hi, Mike. What I meant to say was that it would be great if we could nail down two or three examples that we know for sure are in Redd's hand. We need to identify solid examples of his legimate signature to realy make proper comparisons.

Hello,

I dont know if this item has already been posted, but i was browsing a sellers inventory and saw this signed LP. I thought i would post it here to see what others thought. It also is a low starting price. Hope this helps add to the discussion.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Redd-Foxx-on-the-loose-recored-live-signed-...

Hey thanks  Carl.  This seems to fit in the "third" style that Mike posted above.  It being an album cover is interesting.   There are some photographs signed on Ebay that one at least is similar.  I had hoped the photograph itself might help date the signature but unfortunately the picture dates from at least 1972 so could be signed anytime after that.  

I have been looking at the 1979 checks again and the few examples I have seen are very interesting in that Redd must have had a small rubber stamp made up with the face of a fox in red ink.   You can see where the stamp is just above the signature.   As I mentioned before it is my belief that was not done for decorative purposes but as a safety measure.  When I first looked at one of these checks I paid no attention to the stamp thinking it was a bank stamp until i enlarged and saw the fox.

This is a check that I own it is dated 1979 and does not have a "red stamp" of a fox but rather a hand drawn one.  This leads me to believe this was done by Redd himself to make sure he knew it was his signature on a check should a question arise.  I have posted this picture before but only as a link so decided to put it in this as an image to make it easier to see.

I had intended this to go on this thread but someone I created a new discussion.  This is a link to a Redd Foxx check signed by Prince C. Spencer.  Spencer was a longtime friend of Redd Foxx and his manager.   http://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/redd-foxx-check-sign...

The first signed check shown above with the number 2223 to Carl Anderson. I actuly have this exact check. I have recently had it autehticated by PSA/DNA and it is infact 100% authentic. Love the pieace and it will remain in my collection for many many years have wanted a Redd Foxx check for a very long time. 

This is an older thread, but I wanted to add some examples for future reference.  Pretty nice signature on an index card, PSA authenticated.

This the one I have, with another version of his last name. The Redd is spot on though. Any thoughts?

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service