We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Note:  11/3/2011  THREAD RULEs;

1. If You are gonna post a picture in this Thread then PLEASE leave it POSTED.  When there is commentary for it or comparisons & then removed the Thread overall has a problem and many, including me, don't know what the heck someone is/was talking about.  If it's a personally owned one then put a watermark on it if that's a worry.  But DON"T Delete.  I do from time to time copy them just in case but now always" . 11/3/2011

2. If you are posting an item from an "auction" site (ebay etc...) then pls post the actual picture, and then a link to it along with the "auction" or source site.  Links become dated and items disappear for a variety of reasons (12/4/2011)

As one wanders around the WWW on auction sites or blogs it is inevitable that the "secretarials" verbiage will arise.  There are many breakout discussions (see a partial list below that hopefully, I captured the greater majority of threads) and in typical fashion we deviate on many threads (which I have not captured) and throw in a secretarial here & there.

Many times the secretarials focus on the high end selling items as opposed to the mid level ones e.g. The Honeymooners.  Of course, the secretarials differ, at least in verbiage, to the Clubhouse, AutoPen or outright forgeries (there are lots of good threads on) but that is not for this discussion.

But back to the midlevel ones like Roy & Dale Evans,  Barbara Striesand,  Mary Tyler Moore or Tony Curtis to mention a few.   I will add 3 pictures of authentic ones (there may be variations) for the latter three but don't have the secretarials for a side by side (which I like to see as it provides a good visual).  Anyone have some?  So at the risk of biting off too much (if an area takes off, perhaps I can create a breakout thread for it) what are OTHER KNOWN Secretarials and their Authentic ones and why Secretarials? 

for reference only;

http://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/most-forged-signatur...

http://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/charlton-heston-secr...   Charlton Heston  

http://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/psadna-certified-ite...  psa/dna  Sonny Listion aka Roster masacree

http://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/signature-study-for-... sinatra, Sammy Dave, Gregory Peck & Glen Ford

Then we have the unfortunate masacree Vanderhoven Threads;

Montgomery Clift;  http://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/montgomery-clift-opi...

Tags: fakes, secretarials

Views: 19294

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OK...The top ball is from the 1938 Sinclair Oil contest....I have only seen one of these balls with Babe Ruth's AUTHENTIC signature on it....and the other panel had the secretarial version on the same ball...the bottom picture is the real deal and not even remotely close...

Those Sinclair balls have been sold for may years and I personally only seen one that was actually authentic but once again it had the real and the secretarial autos on the same ball...I never EVER seen one with just an authentic Ruth on it...as you can see there not even close...as a matter of fact there is one for sale right now...totally SECRETARIAL 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1937-BABE-RUTH-SINCLAIR-AUTOGRAPHED-BASEBAL...

Cee Gee - for posterity (as the pics disappear on ebay) and only $510.00 to start with a reserve;

That sold for $1700 or so, because of the original packaging.

Here's one currently on eBay, with bidding in the $200s: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1937-BABE-RUTH-SIGNED-SINCLAIR-OIL-CON...

steve in future (ET ALL) when identifying an Ebay Item post the picture as they disappear really quick....  This listing () has been removed, or this item is not available.

Sorry, DB...you're right, this one close. Sold for $519.99. Here's an image of the listing and 4 of the ball:

John Travolta;   just picked up this tidbit from another thread that I resurrected where Mike Aring indicated, "i've personally asked john travolta about signing his mail, he looked right at me and said "my sister has been taking care of that for years. sorry, but i don't have time."/

Thus, Mike if you could post your in person signed Travolta if you have time that would at least provide one known authentic one.

I used to see him at Spago most of the times I went back in the '90s. He usually wore a full-length mink coat in the fall and winter and never seemed that happy.

Mike, here is a combined picture for travolta.  Using your 3rd one I lined it up against one that doesn't match exactly but seems to represent a proliferation of that type of squibble out in the marketplace.  How does one accurately differentiate or can one?

here are two Travolta signatures I received through the mail (at the same time) I sent him the LP cover and it was returned along with a photo he provided.

what do you think?

harry... i would say no to these items... look at what comes after the J in john.. the "h" or whatever that is... it has no fluidity, it's a HARD pressing of the pen.. i've literally had hundreds of travolta autographs and one thing i've seen when watching him sign, even in a very low key situation, his signature is one fluid stoke... he doesn't start and stop his signature when signing. i've even gotten him when he was sitting down at a table to sign.. actually, you may still be able to look at celebrity authentics website and see what a PERFECT john travolta signature looks like as he apparently did a private signing with the company. and as i've seen from them before, the robert downey jr. autographs that they've had for sale match NOTHING of what i've gotten from robert for over 10 years, but when money is added to the equation for these stars, the autograph can be drastically different... but in travolta's case,  i would think that if he was really signing his mail, the autographs on that site and the ones you are getting in the mail, would match.

Thanks Rick for reposting...  the way these forum threads work when something is deleted it throws the thread discussion into a tailspin.

The Travolta above posted by Rick is what Mike Aring is responding to; "that is a GREAT travolta. haven't seen the separation of the t with the rest of his last name in a while"

Mike IS NOT speaking to the combined picture right above his comment.

Gone again!  If you are gonna post a picture and ask someone about it or so on.  LEAVE IT ONLINE.  PUT a watermark on it if you are worried about something as I have done a number of times on personal items...  When people delete pictures after commentary the thread goes to hell in a handbasket as readers can't follow it cleanly.

for posterity this is the one that Mike was commenting on above that was from Rick that he received in person from being a session musician on one of Travolta's films;

Mike, when you look at the one on the right, it appears to have similarities to yours on the left except for the swril at the end.  Authentic?

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service