We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

got this on ebay awhile back. does this look right?

From what I can tell it matches up with the certified one I have in a display case.  Just want to hear someone else tell me I'm not throwing money away sending it in to get certified. 

Thanks

Views: 750

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As I said, I have never seen this signature before so I won't swear which is which. However, it should be quite safe to think that PSA authenticated the original and yours is the forgery on which it was based because yours displays the characteristics I described - before I went looking for the source signature. One MUST be fake. Both can not be authentic. I think it is clearly yours that is the forgery. Sorry :(

Wow that's pretty wild. Is there a printer or something like that that can do this?

For future reference how can you tell the speed something was signed at? 

You'd need a better scan really that what you showed, but trailing strokes that don't trail, width variation, density of ink deposits (less where speed in present), hesitation etc.

Obviously my initial spatial observations were incorrect, but the speed and the rest reveal the forgery...

Ugh this sucks. I thought I was pretty good at being able to tell a fake from a real autograph. 

This freaks me out a little. It seems like I might be involved in a hobby that I don't actually know what I'm doing. 

Is there any information about this subject that I should read or watch?

Unfortunately, this is a BIG subject in this hobby. Read this site religiously. Experience, observation. Post things for review without having bought them. Keep a file for each genuine sig and the forgeries you encounter and keep adding. Label them carefully. Look for patterns. Rinse, wash & repeat endlessly. I am unaware of any fast way to gain knowledge. :( A good collector is ALWAYS learning and happy to do so :)

I may be willing to part with my signed pick guard, I just have to make sure I still have a few others, I don’t want to sale my last one because He’s actually getting really hard to get and when your lucky enough and he does sign he doesn’t like doing pic guards, at least that’s the way he was a few years back, he used to sign quite often but as far as I know he’s getting a heck of a lot tougher, let me know if you want It and I will check my inventory to see if I can part with one, 

Edit to add: I said this wrong above - I reword:

"... However, it should be quite safe to think that PSA authenticated the original and yours is the forgery which was based on it because yours displays the characteristics..."

Unfortunally I agree with Eric. This hobby is very tricky, but you’ve come to the right place to learn and get help! I was burned several times when I started collection, but the members here at AML has helped me a lot over the years.

And if you’re looking for a genuine Slash, I’ve got this great photo with a very cool inscription for sale:

https://live.autographmagazine.com/group/free-autograph-buy-sell-tr...

So what is easier to look at and tell if it is legit a sharpie or paint pen ?

The signature. The medium used comes right after form for me unless it is something like Paint Pen on fabric which will mess with form as will other things like standing.There there is substrate and its finish. Look what all those flat finished Dark Side of the Moon LP's Roger Waters has been singing - dry surface, matte - kills the pen often enough. You see twists and curves in Sharpie but not in Paint Pen very well - at least the older kind. Generally, "regular" paint pen bleeds into itself obscuring what we are looking for, Sharpie not so much as cross over shows, and I love ballpoint and fountain as they actually strike and bite the surface. Less room for games.

So I should probably stay away from paint pens for now until I get better at this huh

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service