We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

I started this thread to gather information on Roger Keith "Syd" Barrett signatures to hopefully determine just how rare or common he is to collect. 

As well as hopefully determine current market values.

Views: 10942

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would be in search a copy of the 2006 catalog - do you have one Shawn?

I've already asked for that catalog, if available.

I'll let you know when I know haha

Now an update to try and determine how many signatures exist. 

Here is what I have found so far;

Mick Rock Psychedelic Renegades - 320

Cheffins 2006 auction - approx 15

Legitimate and trusted authenticators have on file (the ones that have answered) - under 30

RR auction house (sigs that have been listed) - approx 6

Internet examples (appear to be legit) - approx 30

So it's a rough count of 400 signatures that I've found to surface as Legit. Many many variables and you can figure them out easy enough. 

Many people have helped to get these numbers and I know it's not accurate, but my main goal is to at least get a picture of how rare or common Syd Barrett signatures are. And it's overly clear that he is a rarity. Especially if you take the factor of 320 from MR's books into account. 

I'm still looking into it and maybe numbers will change to get a clearer picture. 

Very admirable Sean.  Perhaps the web can connect with to any others doing similar research and accumulate findings and run down speculations etc? It is an area that may yield new finds still - like my Hiroshima research. I wish you much success.

Thanks Eric

Always good to hear your inputs and have a helping hand.

Cheers

I'm going to get into posting some Syd Barrett signature examples over a period of time, starting with a few from Psychedelic Renegades. Then I will move onto the ones from the Cheffins auction of 2006 and ending with various examples that have been categorized as Legit. 

Psychedelic Renegades

You can see a definite change from the earliest example #22 to that of #303 which I posted at the beginning. 

His B's and tt's remain fairly consistent throughout while the "arre" go through distinctive variances, being sometimes connected and other times disconnected.

Signature examples from Syd Barrett's personal collection which sold at Cheffins auction 2006.

These 2 books sold for 1700GBP and contain one signature example with various handwritten notes.

683: AN A5 SPIRAL BOUND NOTEBOOK AND ANOTHER SMALLER

683: AN A5 SPIRAL BOUND NOTEBOOK AND ANOTHER SMALLER - 2

Lot 729 consisted of 14 books with no count of how many were signed or initialed. But here are examples.

729: THE REMAINDER OF 'SYD'S' LIBRARY, COMPRISING

729: THE REMAINDER OF 'SYD'S' LIBRARY, COMPRISING - 3

Lot 728 was a collection of 8 maps and travel books with most said to be signed or initialed but no specific count. It sold for 1400GBP

728: A COLLECTION OF EIGHT MAPS AND TRAVEL RELATED

728: A COLLECTION OF EIGHT MAPS AND TRAVEL RELATED - 2

728: A COLLECTION OF EIGHT MAPS AND TRAVEL RELATED - 3

Lot 725 held 23 books of which approx 15 were signed or initialed and sold for 4000GBP. Many of these had handmade paper covers by Syd. 

The one I own is to the left of the 20th century art book (currently for sale on ebay UK) which I have previously posted photos. And I do have a few other examples on file.

725: A COLLECTION OF TWENTY-THREE ART REFERENCE BOOKS,

725: A COLLECTION OF TWENTY-THREE ART REFERENCE BOOKS, - 3

Several paintings were sold but I believe only one was signed. This sold for 9500GBP

737: ROGER KEITH (SYD) BARRETT (BRITISH, 1946-2006) - 2

There were a number of signed paintings at his exhibit AD that his sister Rosemary organized. I'll see if I can find out how many were signed and add this to the count. But at this time I can only positively identify 10 paintings that were signed. So signed paintings/artwork will be a separate post to come. 

I'm still waiting for Cheffins reply on individual books that were signed. But last I heard they can't find it or these books were never individually documented from the beginning. So for now a best guess is all I have. But I'm sure the total will bring the number into the high 20's at least. 

Very good information and presentation Shawn. I look forward to any conclusions you may make. I also like that painting of his. What was the medium, size and title? It appears acrylic/mixed on watercolor paper? It is well composed and pleasing in color.

Thanks again Eric. This is certainly an interesting journey and I look forward to finding and posting more.

I have no information on the painting itself other than it is signed Jan '06. This is one month before my book was signed and 6 months before his death. 

He is a very good artist and if you go to his website, you'll see more

http://www.sydbarrett.com/art/

I found a great shot I've never seen before of his painting work station in his house but now I can't find it. It showed a painting on an easel and his book shelves. Now I have to search again darnit!!! 

Remember that book with the toning issues? Well it's actually that 20th century art book that is pictured in lot 725 as it sat in Roger's house. That must mean that Roger himself was the one who took the paper cover off.

This was the book that just sold on RR auctions for $1083

I got this book and the current ebay book mixed up, sorry.

Good work! Like the Psychiatry book, the subject here might influence desire/value. Do we know when those photos were taken, by who, and if his rooms were "adjusted" for "viewing"?

I wonder how many other books were bound that allowed the sig to still show, and I also wonder how many books had their covers removed. How many books were signed that never had covers etc.

It's really tough getting all that information, but I'm trying. And thanks for adding questions to my "to do" list haha.

I'll ask Cheffins if they took the photos of inside Roger's house.

Might be time to try and get in touch with his family, and see if they don't mind helping.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service