We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

I inherited this letter 10 years ago. Looks like brownish black fountain pen on thin onion type thin paper.Gorgeous handwriting! It appears to be addressed to a ship captain, first name Philip. Last name looks like Rarber but hard to read. Deceased relative said he? she? was a famous historical figure but he never said who. Any help would be great. Also year might be 1802. Thanks!

Tags: Who, letter?, this, wrote

Views: 270

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Alexander Cartwright.  Baseball founder.  Letterpress copy.  Similar to a carbon copy.  Value: low hundreds.

This confuses me a bit. Alexander Cartwright, Jr. was born in 1820. He is the one associated with baseball, am I correct?

His father was merchant sea captain and this letter is addressed to another ship captain, correct?

With the date and the letter being addressed to a second ship captain, would it not make more sense it was written by the father of the baseball founder? Clarification please.

The date is smudged, it's 1862.  This letter is from the Alexander Cartwright, from Honolulu, Hawaii.  His signature and handwriting is unmistakable.  I was looking at his signature the other day for research I was doing.  Heritage auctions auctioned off an original letter, penned by Cartwright, with the same flourishes.  

Thanks for clearing that up.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service