We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

Well, PSA got another one wrong..... Can you find anything wrong with this signature?

Ripken signed this photo for me at the NBA All-Star weekend here in Phoenix in 1995 at the Civic Plaza.  He had been scheduled to sign on the last day and wasn't available during his scheduled time.  It was getting near game time and most people left the autograph area, but we asked Ripken if he would sign when we saw him watching the practices and he said he would only sign at the table and promised to be there.  He was a man of his word and stayed until everyone got at least one.  He signed this photo, a ball, and my home plate with 44 Hall of Fame players on it.  I was going to send this photo in to R&R Auctions along with some other items and they said the photo failed.  What a joke!

Please tell me if there is anything that you see that would lead you to believe this was no good.  Thanks in advance.

Views: 516

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just a few exemplars they go with and perhaps take the cautious route.

I have some Steiner ones if I get a chance to post in the near future.

and if you have them in person with the provenance that goes with it then there is an exemplar file that needs to be updated.  Won't be the first time that PSA/DNA fopared but since it's with R&R there are always alternate routes.  I don't consider it a joke perse as they weren't with you when it was signed.

I got Ripkens signature in 95 in Phoenix during All Star weekend. He was hard to chase down that I do remember. I got him at the celebrity basketball event.  I had him sign a hat. My sig looks closer to yours then the exemplars below. One of which looks to be on a bat and a hard comparison. I've never tried to get it authenticated. I saw him sign it and I am keeping it.  Pretty sure I still have the photo of him with my daughter when he was signing it. Will look for it.

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Here are some early Ripken examples I found. Two from the same time period as yours. Looks pretty close to me. Also looks to me like he shortened his sig over the years. Never really looked that close at Ripken. Had the one signature from him. He wasn't somebody I would have multiple sigs of like I do say Tillman, Warner, Fitz or Upton. One was enough. 

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Yours looks exactly like mine does.  At least we both know they are real.

Rick,

I approached him at the celebrity basketball event also.  So many people were trying to get him.  But because I had the home plate, I needed a nice signature and had to wait for him to get to the table at the front.  I never planned on selling the photo, but I have the Steiner photo of him at bat breaking the consecutive games played record and I don't need both.  It is a shame that they will pass a signature when it looks absolutely nothing like it should and fail one that is 100% legitimate.

We probably passed each other.  Was a madhouse there for sure.

was looking at a Ripken Bat last night acquired from Steiner and on it (need to get a picture of it) there is a "perfect" engraved Cal Ripken Jr along with his signature that is indicative of someone who was signing a bunch of bats at one session.  I can say however it doesn't align to the thread topic pic though.

Doesn't surprise me about the sniping that goes on and who has whose ear.

However, Steve, armed with the exemplars from this thread R&R (pm Bobby) is more than willing to go back at it again with PSA if need be.  Contrary to popular belief they (PSA/DNA) isn't always the final word (right or wrong) and the more of us that get the word out on these mistakes the better off the hobby will be.

@MikeA - the problem with the above statement is that also gives the dark side a door to walk thru as well.

I'll see if I can get a better shot with a real camera at some point.

Yes Steve...this does happen from time to time...I never get anything authenticated that I get in person...simply because I know its the real deal...of course to resell it would be the main reason to get something authenticated for a buyers peace of mind...I always make sure I get a picture with the celeb or the celeb signing the item when it happens...it doesn't get any better then that...a actual photo of the star signing the item...no cert. needed...but that being said I love your Ripken...its a real shame this happens...but even the leaders of authentication make mistakes...

The picture posting as we have seen over and over again can be misleading and what are the odds that you would actually walk in on one of yourself!  One of the reasons why I took down all the pics previously posted on the profile from inperson sessions as without watermarks thay can be purposely misused.  We saw that from a UACC dealer on a Heston that Zip was hot on the trail.  Gotten sloppy in my latest picture posts though....  Sometimes, at events I will remember to snap the shot of the signing and at other times just signing (since I ferget what I am doing...).

By the darkside, I meant not always does it go in favor of truth & justice.  Have heard conflicting stories about the star wars horde where, depending on who one believes, it went just the other way. We also know that once PSA says it's okay and in the face of empirical evidence it turns out that it's not, I have yet to seem them reverse themselves.  PSA/DNA operational approach is part and parcel to the overall authentication problem.  Glad it turned out ok for you in that instance.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service