We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

where can I get an appraisal for 1000 old autographs of celebrities ?

My grandmother collected autographs from 1900 up to 1950, she would write a letter to a celebrity asking them to sign the enclosed index card . Often the wrote a letter back along with the signed card. She collected over a thousand signatures, and saved the envelope they came in along with news paper clippings of the celebrity. I have no interest in them , but think they are probably worth quite a bit ,and I'd like to have an expert appraise them. The one " expert " I talked to here in Calgary Alberta said to bring them in , and was an expert in every field of appraisal that I mentioned , including old cars and quilts. I'd like someone who is an expert in this field, As I said I'm in Calgary Alberta. If anyone knows of an expert please send me a note .     

Views: 392

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Step 1 is figuring out what's authentic in the mix.  The appraiser you're referring to is most likely not at all qualified to help with that.

It might take some time, but it would be worth it to sort through what you have and sell the items on an individual basis.  As far as who has the most comprehensive knowledge of vintage celebrity signatures, I'm not entirely sure.

Might want to pick a few that were considered major stars, scan the signed area, and post if here. There are many knowledgeable people here who could advise you. If I were you, I would probably try to sell them one by one. It would take you more time but you would reap a bigger pay-off. Especially if you have some major stars.

Since my grandmother wrote directly to the people I doubt if there would be fakes unless some secretary signed for them so to not bother the boss or something. These are not here with me at the moment, I just remember seeing the wright Brother's signature when I was small. My sister has them with her , and is going to make a list of all the names , and dates they signed them.

Yes ,thanks for the good advise to scan them and show them here . good thing I'm retired ,there's over a thousand signatures.   

Well, especially in contrast to today, that was probably a very good era to try to get through the mail autographs.  Still, secretaries have signed for movie stars, musicians and politicians for a long time, so there probably at least some in the mix that aren't authentic.  Again though, that was a much better era for trying to get major stars through the mail, so your grandma probably put together a pretty incredible collection.

yes she must have spent thousand of hours just finding addresses to send her request to.

My sister has these in her possession and I mentioned secretarys signing for the boss , she said several secretarys wrote back saying the boss was to busy.,but as you mentioned there is the chance of some secretarys signing ,even though honesty was a more valued commodity back then.  My Grandmother even saved the replys from the secretarys .

There always has been a lot of secretarial autographs in every era, especially through the mail when a star was in their peak period. Although, back in the 30's and 40's stars were easier to access to get autographs in person. When actors and actresses worked for a specific studio. Times has certainly changed.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service