We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

In terms of collectibility or popularity that is. I believe sometime back in the mid-to-late 80s TIME magazine declared that U2 may be the second-most popular band in music history after The Beatles.

I think this may still indeed be true when looking at the entire scope of popular music history. Their world influence cannot be denied. Now, of course, I think the Stones are right there. However, I don't think Bono will ever pass Mick as an icon, although Bono is hard to top as a humanitarian.

So who comes in second after The Beatles? There will be the Zeppelin fans. But their popular influence simply does not touch U2. It's not close.

Oh...but let's not forget One Direction. (LOL!!!)

Views: 1887

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

black Sabbath,

I guess breaking down the criteria is a bit difficult, and much of this will inevitably come down to personal taste.  Everyone would certainly weight these aspects differently, and some are obviously much more open for debate and subject to a wide range of opinions. Things to consider are:

1) Record sales

2) Longevity, consistency and stability 

3) Influence 

4) Legacy as a live act

Any others?

Metallica.

Wasn't it just a couple of years ago that U2 made more on concert sales than any recording artist that year.

U2 is a MONSTER band in music history, only surpassed by maybe a handful of acts if even that.

Whether someone says they were influenced by U2 is not as relevant as record sales and concert sales. Although this subject is subjective, it is also objective and quantifiable.

An article about ten years ago pointed out U2's longevity, not just in the sense that they're "still around," but no lineups changes for that period of time (charging toward 40 years now) is pretty unprecedented. That aside, the span for which they made genuinely great, memorable music spans longer than just about any other other the great rock bands. To paraphrase them, the Beatles were done before the 70s and the Rolling Stones' creative period was only about 15 years, despite the fact that they've been around for a half century plus. 

Still comes down to taste. Obviously if you love the Stones or the Beatles, what they accomplished during their peak means more than everything U2 did during their entire four decade run.

Bono has made more money in facebook stocks than his band longevity.
Yes, they've had a nice four-decade run, and they also completely dominated an entire decade of music (the 80s) as far as bands go. Michael Jackson and Madonna also dominated the 80s, but they were solo artists.

And there are only so many decades to go around. Not too many bands can say they dominated a decade of music. I guess there might be...what 6 decades, starting from the 50s. So there can only be at most 6 bands that have dominated a decade of music. Ergo, U2 is of iconic stature and in the running for greatest of all-time. Though that will always belong to the Beatles.
The who, queen, radiohead,the clash, theres miles of bands ahead of them sex pitols, pink floyd, oasis, fleetwood mac.
I think you have to look at the article in context, post it.
It was published in the 80s when what lp wad released.
There are times when artist breakthrough and mean something, but u2 haven't had that moment in time over there career.
Jacksons, billie jean performance, nirvana coming into the mainstream, Dylan going electric,Hendrix at monterey.
So on John lydon becoming Johnny rotten.

"There are times when artist breakthrough and mean something, but u2 haven't had that moment in time over there career."

Whoa, NOT true. 

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/u2s-bad-break-12-minutes-at-...

I can point out other high points too - the famous, nearly rained-out Red Rocks show in '83, Sarajevo '97, Zoo TV (a monumental, breakthrough tour that pretty much no one else here discussed even touched in terms of overall production), "We have to go away and dream it all up again" (at the height of their mainstream success, U2 scraps the Joshua Tree era to reinvent themselves). Big fans will cite several more as well, likely including a certain show in Paris just last night.

Love the Live Aid pic above! Here´s my Bono autograph on the same one:

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service