We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

I got into it autograph collecting by trying to aquire signed sports memorabilia for family members as gifts! I thought it would be a special and unique gift that they wouldn't get from anyone else, but now I have "the fever" of sorts for wanting to collect autographs! I know my family and friends think I'm an impractical wasteful dreamer for doing so,and since I am not trained in this field would it ALWAYS be best for me to buy everything (only if it had the PSA/DNA authentication or JSA?) I mean I can look at something and try to guess,and I can say "well I think it looks good" but I couldn't stand by that since I am not trained in this field. ( I am a nurse by trade - 30 yrs) Anyway it was just a thought because I had told myself that I WOULDNT buy anything unless it was PSA VERIFIED, but then I catch myself looking up autographs that I would like to get that have no authentication,and possibly wanting to buy them, but then thinking I may be a fool for doing so. I have in the past been interested in certain autographs and then I would submit a scan to the PSA/DNA Quick Opinion for them to take a look at it first (I figured it was worth that much), but everyone I had ever sent them came back "most likely not authentic". Maybe I just need to reign in my collecting hobby here a bit ,but I wanted to ask the experts on here what they think I should do? Should I (best bet) just ALWAYS rely on PSA/DNA??

And thanks for all the feedback from my posts!! -and  I know this was a long winded one, but I think this is a great site for the expert and the novice to get together and commiserate on autograph collecting, because it is that kind of "speculative" field that might take more than 1 opinion to really verify ones handwriting style!. 

P.S. ==> AND YOU ALL SHOULD TRY TO DECIPHER A  DR'S HANDWRITING SOMETIMES (  A TRANSCRIBED DR'S ORDER!!) ==> OMG - IT TAKES A VILLAGE OF COWORKERS GETTING TOGETHER TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THEY WROTE!!  LOL - I just had to include that thought guys - figured it might give you a chuckle.. =}

Views: 507

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, even though mistakes are sometimes made, don't let that deter you from collecting. If you're just careful, you can have a great deal of confidence that an autograph is real. And seriously, if you just post stuff here, you can usually get pretty good advice before you buy, and then you can buy with confidence. And I agree, it is kind of funny how the sexes are drawn sometimes to different hobbies - social engineering, maybe?! But you know, when I was a young kid in the 70s, it seemed like few women were really interested in sports. But that sure changed, huh? Probably still more male diehards, but today there are tons of females that are big sports fans.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service