We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Hello out their,

I recently read a post on startiger that mentioned this site and several individuals their seemed to think highly of it. I havent had a chance to fully explore it, and have never heard of it before, so I am in the dark. I noticed the first article was about a JSA goof up in baseball. Typically when i see a story like this i dont go any farther, as typically its someone trying to ruin PSA and Jsa's reputation. But obviously mistakes are made all the time as they are with anybody. I was just curious to know if anyone here regularly reads the information their, and if it is accurate?

Definetly dont want to waste my time reading more propaganda if thats what it is.

Thanks for reading

Chris

http://haulsofshame.com/blog/

Views: 1590

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ive looked at it a few times and i think it is worth the read, as with everything these days there will be some biased in the site but ive seen and heard PSA and JSA messing up alot of big money items lately ( more so JSA) so why not look into it and further educate ourselves. Im not saying everything that site say's is right but alot of what they and other sites say is not made up either, IMO it's worth reading and take any information that  can help from it

They have some interesting stories for sure...haven't checked them out in a while since they last exposed some non authentic items in Barry Halpers collection...I remember them showing a Babe Ruth auto on a sheet with other H.O.F baseball players and the Ruth was a terrible forgery...no question

Your right, i am reading it now, or skimming it, and some stuff is very interesting even though i know nothing about baseball items. I did find this statement, which made me wonder. Isnt Steven Koschal a notorious forger and slanderer of this sites members? I dont know if thats right or not, if its isnt i apologize, it just seems i have heard his name assoicated with that. Anyway when talking about the Ruth signatures out of that guys collection it mentions.

"Halper was referring to his father’s 500 Home Run sheet and, to the contrary, the Ruth autograph on that sheet has been widely accepted as a forgery by experts and auction house heads alike.  In a prior article published in February by Haulsofshame.com, experts Ron Keurajian Steven KoschalJosh Evans and Mike Heffner ofLelandsDoug Allen of Legendary, and John Rogers of The Rogers Archive went on the record claiming they believed the Ruth signature on the 500 sheet was a forgery.

If this is the same guy, and he is a forger himself, it seems odd that he would try and make this guys collection seem bogus, regardless of if it is or not. Any opinions their?

Chris

Isnt this guy a forger as well?

Travis Roste, who writes for AutographNewslive.com, this is nothing new for Spence and JSA.  Says Roste, “People have asked for exemplars from Spence to back up what he claims. Spence once gave the green light to a non-genuine John L. Sullivan autograph and, when it was exposed and the buyer who bought it from a big auction house wanted an explanation from Spence, James said he had exemplars to back it up. But when he asked to see those exemplars, Spence said no!”

No, I've never heard of anyone suspecting Travis Roste of being a forger, and I'd be shocked if he were. 

Hey Chris...here's the images of the Ruth that I was talking about from the article I read some time ago...when it comes down to just the Ruth in my opinion I would say its not authentic either...not taking away from Barry Halper's collection one bit because he had some serious high end one of a kind items ever know in the world of collectibles...

Here's another article about it

Thanks for the info, after reading that article it seemed like that guy virtually had everything. He must have had alot of money to spare to have such a collection. Really amazing.

I once saw a documentary about him about 5 or 6 years ago...he said he went to get Cy Young one time in person while he was getting into a car or cab...Cy wound up dropping his pipe and breaking it while signing for him...although Cy was upset Halper picked it up the broken pipe and had him sign the barrel portion of it as well...he showed the pipe in the interview...it was like a cream/white color with a black auto on it...if that story is in fact true it is truly insane...this guy had some really sick stuff ranging in the millions...even though there has been some speculation of pieces lately with game used jerseys and bad autos...I would say in a collection as big as that there has to be some bad pieces do to just the shear size of the collection...I would think it would have to be impossible for there not to be...but all in all he truly had some of the greatest pieces of all time in my opinion... 

Barry Halper was a very nice man.  It's hard to believe he was in business with a guy like George Steinbrenner.

I was in his house in 1997. He showed me many amazing pieces...including a baseball signed  by Joe & "Norma Jean DiMaggio" and the shirts of all HOF'ers except for Eppa Rixey (the only one he didn't have).  I held bats belonging to Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig.

It never occurred to me that some of the items may not be real....although I did question a couple of items.

It seems that Peter Nash's work has exposed some of Halper's items as fakes.  (I don't think Halper intentionally touted phony items).

BUT...and this is a BIG BUT....Nash's motives may be suspect.  According to the Sports Illustrated aricle below, Nash admitted to committing fraud. He scammed dealer Rob Lifson.  And Lifson happens to be the guy who oversaw the sale of Barry halper's material.  Thus, besmirching Halper is besmirching Lifson.  So, Nash has a potential "revenge" motive.

Here is the VERY interesting SI piece.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/the_bonus/12/09/nash/...

Hey Sidney...I also don't feel Mr.Halper did any thing intentional either...as far as Iam concerned he was the king of collectors and quite an inspiration to me for many years...his displayed pieces and collecting stories are what all collectors can only dream of...he was truly the God father of memorabilia...no question

In my opinion, Hauls of Shame has some good information and has done of good job of exposing stolen material that has ended up in auctions, etc.

That said, you need to go in understanding that they are not objective regarding third party authenticators. They expose some of PSA and JSAs foul ups, which is entirely fair game. However, they take it too far and descend into nonsense like "report JSAs mistakes to the FBI."

It is my understanding that there is some controversy surrounding the site's creator/editor, Peter Nash. To his credit, he uses his name and does not pretend to be someone other than who he is.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service