We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Hey, I’m new here and was given this site as a recommendation from some folks at RACC. My grandmother passed away and I have inherited her collection of signed photos from 1935-1939 as she penciled in on the back of each photo the year. There are approximately 175 photos and most are 5x7. A lot are personalized. Some are preprinted and others are probably secretarial, but I don’t know which are. 

How should I go about getting these authenticated and how should I go about selling them? I collect sports and music memorabilia and only know a few of these names as I’m 30 and don’t really watch Turner Classic Movies. I know that I’m better off selling individually than selling them in bulk. Thank you so much for your help! 

Views: 993

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That James Cagney looks authentic and a very good example IMO

Are the ones you post for sale?

Hi Robert, if you decide to sell any of this material here at the Buy/Sell/Trade forum please familiarize yourself with the rules for doing so. They can be found here. 

Wow 
That's quite the collection of who's who

Hello and welcome. From that period about 75% of the 5x7's are secretarial etc. I'd start by posting good flat high res scans here for free opinions. The advice you get here from our members will be of more value in my opnion than any authentication service out there. Oh, it is free. At least screen the stuff here if you need those certificates etc. PLEASE do NOT let any authentication company vandalize and advertise/place a sticker on your photographs that might be hand-signed by the celeb in question. Have the stickers put on the certificates. Future collectors will thank you. I would be interested to see the Joan Crawford, Bette Davis, Bogart, Harlow (looking for her mothers hand) and Flynn, others will be familiar with other names like Ginger Rogers etc..

Hi again,

I see you added pics. Bette Davis is her secretarial. Will look at the others.

Harlow appears Mama's hand.

Weissmuller is a stamp I believe.

Jim Cagney appears good c. 1936 but I can not say live ink with any real confidence from these images. It appears so. See if you can adjust your white balance and shoot in more light. Thses are very hard to see/read the surfaces of.

Gable secretarial.

Gable appears to be a secretarial. Cagney appears authentic. Harlow is probably signed by her mother. Make sure your photos are signed with live ink. Not stamped or preprinted.

+1. Please try to take higher resolution photographs (not so fuzzy) so the ink (if any) can be "read" if possible. Those with simple salutations without dedications are those that suggest potential preprints etc. straight away and should be examined for live ink. Live ink should take on a different color in the glare of a light than the rest of the image - but that still leaves a secretarial as a potential. In hand it would be much easier to weed out those not handsigned at all. Some could be eliminated with a moments look. 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service