We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

This was on sale at an auction house in England today, they said the signatures were unverified so I wasn't sure whether to take a punt and make a bid, in the end I didn't.

Cheers

Tags: autographs, beatles

Views: 1341

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jeff, Many years ago I was in a similar situation and after some discussion I was able to get my money back. Another thing you need to use PayPal or something similar that has buyer/seller protection. Wire transfers, money orders etc only favor the seller. So did you buy them believing them to be genuine Beatles autographs? More importantly did the seller sell them as genuine autographs? If yes esp to the seller question you should be able to go back to them and tell them the signatures are not genuine and in fact were signed by one of the secretaries. It's likely the person selling is the same person that bought them at the Liverpool auction as it is unlikely they would get flipped that fast. The seller was already aware the signatures could be not genuine as per the auction description so your return request should not come as a surprise to the seller. Lastly if the seller refuses to return your money then I would contact the Police in the local area where the seller lives and explain you might be a victim of fraud. They will investigate and perhaps the seller would then be motivated to refund your money. A seller in the UK tried to scam me and I contacted the Police and they essentially told the seller to refund the money or they would be charged. He returned my money as it was the better option. Good luck with this.
Thank you all for the wonderful advice. At this point he has my money and I don't have the item yet, so I'm figuring it's best that I wait until I get the item in my hands. Otherwise I'm figuring that he will just take my money and I'll never see the item anyway. I I am speaking to my bank trying to get the money transfer reversed, but at this point it looks as if it's already gone through. Once I receive the item I will contact him and start my grievance. thanks again to all

maybe contact action fraud in the UK as the first step ;- however they actually only have the resources to investigate  only a small nos of  frauds that are committed but at least they will hopefully give you a ref number, which may frighten the dealer;- but as you say wait until you get the item in your hands before you start proceedings if the bank wont reverse the transger

Give the seller a chance to prove themselfs, Hell, we all make mistakes let's see how he/she conducts themselfs now.. my advice is refare them to this website and if you would kindly keep us up to speed if they don't refund you.....then name and shame them
Jeff, Lots of great advice here. I think you are on the right path. I hope the seller sent it to you using a tracking number. Assuming that to be true once you have the item you can start the return inquiry. I'm sure that once the seller realizes that there is no doubt the signatures are not genuine he will be happy to accept the return. Let's think positive and good luck. Len
Jeff, any news assuming the autographs have arrived?
Thanks for checking in, still has not arrived. Was sent from the UK last week. I have tracking number, I imagine I should get it within the next day or so. Will post further detail once I receive. Going to be tough to get any recourse, biggest issue is that the dealer told me it was from his personal collection, and he had it for over 15 years...based upon this discussion, he had purchased it a few weeks back from a U.K. auction, and flipped it to me at a handsome profit. Even with groups opinion that it was signed by secretarial staff, going to be tough to get my $ back. Jeff
Finally received card in question...here is my email to dealer, will let you know how he chooses to respond...

Hi Nate,

I finally did receive the card...thanks for the careful packaging.

However, upon a bit more research, I have a couple of issues I need to bring up.

1) 99% sure the card was signed by secretarial staff. I understand the risk when I purchase, which leads to next issue...

2) You claimed to have had this for many years. Didn't take me too long to see that you purchased this from Cato Crane auctions on 7/12/16. Looks like you paid 250 pounds (or about $310 US). They had estimated it between 30-50UK. I've looked at the images front and back, it is the exact same card.

As you can imagine, I'm pretty upset based upon the fact that you misrepresented the story behind the card. I have no issues with you making a handsome profit on this card (almost $700), but do have a problem with the fabricated story.

My suggestion is that I would ask you to refund me $300 on this purchase. That way you still make a decent (and easy) profit, and I feel that you did the right thing, and we settled like gentlemen.

Thoughts??

Jeff

very well put together.......and still willing to take a bit of blow, commendable

Excellent email Jeff. You are letting him easy in my opinion but very gentlemanly on your end for sure. Best of luck, I hope you have a favourable outcome in that you get some money back and you still have a nice collectible (secretarial) in your hands. I salute you sir!

Wow that might be one of the best responses to a known problem I have ever seen. You called him out and gave him a way out. We'll done!!!
Thanks for the support, guys. Appreciate it. Reason I'm letting him off easy is I knew there was a good chance it was secretarial, but freely chose to move forward. The fact that his story was BS is the problem. Not sure if I'll get a response to my email, will let u know what happens.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service