We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Here's one I'd like to get an opinion on.  It's a Gable signature on a Laszlo Willinger photo from a movie called "Strange Cargo."  I've wondered about this one for a long time.  I sent a photo of the autograph in to AutographCOA some time back for an online opinion.  They said it was good.  I'd still like to have some of your thoughts about it.

There is some guy selling copies of this exact same photo on eBay for about $10. It's the same identical signature in exactly the same spot as this signature.  I've looked at this signature very closely under the lights.  This signature was signed with a pen.  I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks Ladies and Gentlemen, Mike.ohotograph

Tags: Clark Gable

Views: 2646

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, Those are all very rare. Lugosi is 1931-34. The Magnani is the earliest I have seen.

Yup, Mike. That is one reason I like them.

Here are a couple of closeup  photos that show the red ink.

This ink is red.

I'm sorry but did not the certificate from POTP say black ink?

Yes, as a matter of fact it did.  Shows me how closely they examined the thing.  It looks black until it's put under high magnification.  Today is the first time I looked really, really closely at an autograph.  I was amazed!

I'm gonna get some books and learn more.  

I don't know of any books - perhaps others do.  I gave some advice in another thread. I can post it here if you like.

Sure, any good advice is always welcome.  I'm sure I can do some Google searching and find some good books on autograph authentication.

That's funny I read your article today.  Then I got out my jewelers headset and magnifying glass and light and looked at that Gable signa ture, and I was amazed.  It really was cool.  Honestly, it's a moment I'll never forget.  It was like seeing the rings of Saturn for the first time.   I am going to learn how to authenticate autographs.

I do appreciate your help.  Anytime you want to look at my eBay store I'll be happy to give you the address.  I sell lots of stuff, artwork, paintings, ancient coins, ancient maps,  jewelry, autographs, pretty much anything I'm interested in.  I'm to old now to work in the construction industry, ol body just wore out.  50 years of hard labor will do that to a man.

I like history a lot, and I love old classic movies and great actors and actresses.  I'm not trying to do anything fraudent or illegal.  I never have.  I just don't operate that way.  I've worked like a field hand to accomplish what little I've been able to accomplish in this life. That's the way my Mom taught me..

I know your an intelligent fellow, and I listen to what you have to say.  And I'd like to try to get along if that possible.  I'd be the biggest fool in town to dare think that I know anywhere near as much as you about autographs, and collecting, and such.  But I do want to learn!

This morning you wrote that you didn't think you trusted me.  I thought that was funny!  Sometimes I wonder if I trust myself!  I'm  just kidding!  I'm not a crook. Nor will I ever be.  I have the choice on that one.  But that's not to say that I'm subject to foul up from time to time.  I'm human.  And there's so much I don't know about a lot of things.

My eBay store address is

www.ebay.com/str/michaelshouseoftreasures

If you see something that looks phony, let me know and I'll yank it!  It's that simple.

Anyway, thanks for putting up with me.  My wife knows how you feel.

And thanks.

I just got the Beckett online evaluation report back for the Liz Taylor forgery.  Beckett says "Unlikey To Pass Authentications."  Shock!  Now I have the ammo I need to contact Mr. Lights-Camera-ActionUK and  and ever-so-humbly request a refund for Ol' Liz.  I think it high time to at least try to expose his dirty dealings to the light of day.  And so shall I try.

Get enough dogs barking all at the same time, someone just might wake up and take notice.  Which is all fine, as long as it isn't the wrong dog.

I am glad you have that ammo. :-) I can see clearly we had a miscommunication and whatever along the way. I will respond when the sun is up, and so am I. Thank you for all the kind words. I am sending you a new friend request.

I was hesitant to comment on this, given the twists and turns the discussion took, but I don't believe anyone ever directly responded to your original question.   

I went to your eBay store after you provided the link.  I disagree with the PIECE OF THE PAST and  ACO pre-cert. opinion that the Willenger image is real from the period of 1940.  I've seen these sepia toned repros. before and I think that they date from the 1980s and were sold to folks looking to frame a nice image of Gable and Crawford.  The Kobal Collection allowed this image be reproduced and you'll see it in tons of photos this size, smaller photos, postcards, etc. from that time.

I know it's been under the light, but I don't believe you've mentioned what kind of ink it is (couldn't find it in the description either).  Maybe I missed it.  Is it fountain, ballpoint, fine felt tip?  The signature looks to have been drawn by someone familiar with Gable but they didn't quite get it right.

I'm also curious about the other Gable photo you have signed "To Harry".  What kind of ink is that?  It looks like a restrike of a vintage still and the ink looks rather fresh (to my eyes at least).  Again.....fountain, ballpoint, fine felt tip?

The check you have signed by him is good and I'm sure you paid a premium coming from the dealership that it has ..... which probably accounts for the much higher price asking compared to the photos.

Hello - it (OP) was listed by Martin as black ballpoint and Patrick says it is actually red.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service