We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Here's one I'd like to get an opinion on.  It's a Gable signature on a Laszlo Willinger photo from a movie called "Strange Cargo."  I've wondered about this one for a long time.  I sent a photo of the autograph in to AutographCOA some time back for an online opinion.  They said it was good.  I'd still like to have some of your thoughts about it.

There is some guy selling copies of this exact same photo on eBay for about $10. It's the same identical signature in exactly the same spot as this signature.  I've looked at this signature very closely under the lights.  This signature was signed with a pen.  I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks Ladies and Gentlemen, Mike.ohotograph

Tags: Clark Gable

Views: 2652

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All I saw in the replies above were the terms 'black ink' / 'red ink'  being tossed around and no color or ink type in the listing itself.  To be quite honest, I didn't even bother to read the POP letter as that's pretty well irrelevant regarding authenticity, imho.

So....Gable signed "an almost 80 year old photograph" (per the listing) in black or red ballpoint (color contested) ?  

I did not even try to get into any of that. There was something else grabbing my attention, things were...convoluted. I never took his wording to mean an original vintage still. It does not appear one. The scan(s) don't really allow any surface data to be read, including ink/pen. What one can see appears fountain. There were enthusiast reprints of these stills in the 50's, and were the signature actually genuine 50's it could have been signed in either fountain or ballpoint.  I never got to address the signature as I was chasing down what was what and where etc. You raise very good points Eddy. I don't believe any of this is 83 years old.

I did not get a chance to look at the enlargements added until now. I only had the "yellow light" images to look at. And I was under the impression most of the time that the eBay item was another copy. What do you make of the clear closeup?

Possible....but I think it's one of the Kobal mass produced prints.  Regardless, the listing describes this Willenger image as "an almost 80 year old photograph". 

I just feel uneasy about what I can tell by these images of the physical photo....not to mention the signature.

---------------------------------

Check out this other one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134373776091?hash=item1f494d1adb:g:yuQAAOS...

I just did look at this "To Harry"  POTP certificate, but there's no mention on that certificate of ink type like the Willenger POTP certificate.  The eBay listing description doesn't say ink type either....only that it is "signed by the legend himself".

Can you possibly tell what kind of ink that might be?  I'm having trouble just from what I can see.

Yes, it does say "80 years old". At the time yesterday I did not/could not believe the eBay one was his and so I did not read it. But even this photo from the earlier party of the thread doesn't really show much and the data is obscured. One can see fibrous paper but... The other one you linked now - that ink looks much too fresh. Whatever that is I do not like it. In the enlargement the photo appears to be a reprint, perhaps from a good copy negative. 

I'm in agreement with you.  

Here are more ink shots.  Thnx!

1. I just woke up a few hours ago.  I work day and night a lot.  A man's gotta sleep sometime.  I yanked the Davis as soon as I woke up.  I also yanked the Gable.  Man, you guys are rough! 🤣

I still can't tell from the scans.  Since you have it before you, can you identify what kind of ink this is?

I am unable to as well. Something seems wrong.

I am glad to see you have read the posts and pulled the relevant items Patrick.

Patrick, do you have a scanner?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service