We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Derek Jeter Fraudulent Forged Signed 1993 Upper Deck Buyback Card

I just discovered this today (April 19, 2019).

It was listed by Ebay seller probstein123, who eventually took it down.

At this point I have no idea if this card is counterfeit or not, but the "AAA12990" should not be on the card.

I am also suspicious of the chipping on the card, which was so prevalent on the Jeter and Koufax counterfeit cards.

I am also suspicious of the hologram on the bottom left of the card on the reverse.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Upper-Deck-Buyback-449-Derek-Jeter-Ya...

Upper Deck NEVER issued this as a BuyBack Card.

Fraud.

Views: 735

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I see where you are coming from but skepticism is not proof. The only ones who could truly denounce the cards authenticity is upper deck and they refuse to provide an opinion. You have not mentioned your opinion of the autograph itself. The numbering could have been placed after the signature to the card. I have had the card in my possession as opposed those who have made an opinion from a computer screen (same can be said for psa). I agree the numbering seems strange as does the difference in sticker affixed to the back. Does this mean it’s not a 2009 upper deck buyback? Chances are this is the case but it does not mean the card and or autograph are not authentic. The question then becomes what is the origin of the autograph, why is it numbered, and where did the sticker come from? The easiest way to determine the origin of the sticker and denounce the authenticity of this piece altogether would be to call on the maker : upper deck. Since they have failed to provide any information reference to this piece I am left to go with my own opinion of the autograph itself and leave the authentication in the hands of PSA. 

in this case I believe your going purely off skepticism and not fact based proof. I love your work on the 1995 upper deck jeter minor league autos and sp koufax. The same seller tntjnorth on eBay has been mass distributer for those cards as well as the Topps fusion pujols, upper deck legends Unitas/bart starr autos, and those sickening ovation Kobe autographs. 

In summation I respect the work your doing and appreciate your opinion. I have no reason to doubt the card itself as being original (referring to the upper deck rookie card), the autograph is spot on for the time period, but the numbering as well as different sticker are in question I agree. I will see PSA in person at the next philly show in valley forge PA and see if I can obtain a statement from them as to their opinion in this matter.

I believe this psa case should read authentic altered. The autograph does not seem to be in question but it’s a clear attempt to make an ip look like an 09 buyback. I will have this discussion with them at the end of the month. Thanks again for your time in this matter.

As I wrote originally, I cannot ascertain whether the card is counterfeit (I lean towards "not").

As for the "autograph," the moment I saw it, I didn't like it.

It certainly isn't one of he original "93" Buybacks of that card issued by Upper Deck.

And I will repeat, your questionable BuyBack card is the only one I have ever observed with that-style "Jeter" and a different color ink on the numbering "14/23."

The slab represents it as a "1993 UD Buyback."

Now check this out below.

That "Jeter" does not belong on the card below and it is the same-style "Jeter" as yours.

Also observe this; in the below Beckett slab, the autograph wasn't authenticated by Beckett.  Only the card and the "autograph" were graded.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383111836251?ul_noapp=true

Side-by-side of the "Jeter" from the Bowman's Best slabbed by Beckett (but not authenticated) and yours.

The "Jeter" in the Beckett slab does not belong on that card.

This is the correct-circa Jeter on that same Bowman' Best card.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-BOWMANS-BEST-DEREK-JETER-REFRACTOR-PS...

I am not disagreeing with the opinion of not being a 2009 upper deck buyback. That part I am on board with but as to the origin and explanation of the sticker we have not received the prior information from upper deck to ascertain the origin of said sticker on the back. At the end of the day my opinion of the autograph authenticity has been supported by PSA but I do agree a mistake was made on it being one of the 09 buybacks issued in that years upper deck product. At best the slab should read 1993 upper deck Derek jeter autograph authentic with the autograph grade as requested when I submitted the card to PSA. I did not put on the submission that is was a buyback. 

I have no doubt, that if PSA changes the slab to identify as it as simply as "Authentic Autograph on a 1993 UP card" that they will cert it again.

I will continue to disagree with them.

I also want to "Thank you" for this conversation.

I love this kind of discussion on autographs.

Again I appreciate your opinion And time in this matter. I will update after I have my discussion with PSA. 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service