We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Howdy all...

I have another item that was found over at my late uncle's estate. This one is a 1974 NY Yankees Team Ball. A pretty old, deteriorated note stated that the ball was obtained by a man's relative who was one of the groundskeepers for the Yankees back in the day & had the ball signed by them after winning the Championship.

Would like to get the opinions of others on here for their thoughts, impute & offers should you wish to make one.

Views: 1101

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No question authentic...not sure if there is any club house autos on there but the Brown...Rizzuto...Reynolds...and the Joe D looks good...great piece...

Thanks Cee Gee. I have a question for you. What do you mean by a "Clubhouse Auto" - never heard of that expression.

"Clubhouse signature" means the ballboy or some other attendant ghost signed it. Often, team balls feature clubhouse signatures. The ballboy or whomever would fill the signatures of players who could not or didn't want to sign for themselves. Some of the ballboys were adept at imitating the signatures.

Really? Sounds ridiculous to me. Pretty much "fraud" to me if I was someone who wanted a player to sign my stuff. Who would have thought that?!?

you have to understand that people did not collect autographs back then to sell them on ebay.  the "clubhouse" signatures were not done with any bad intent.  those signatures made a lot of people happy back then.  its the current group of collectors who inherit these treasures, the feel like they are getting "screwed" because it turns out that some of the signatures may be clubhouse.  it was a different time back then.

Yeah, different times back then for sure. Curious to know, how much value does a Clubhouse ball compare to one that, on a whole, is a true all teamed signed item?

it all depends on the team ball, and who is on it.  For example, 1961 yankees.  A very high percentage of them have clubhouse mantle and maris.  so the value of that particular ball would be severely affected.  If that same ball, however, had an authentic Mantle and Maris, and a clubhouse Boyer,(just an example), it would not lose anywhere near as much value.  There are key signatures to every team signed baseball.  the value is directly related to the significance of the team, and how many of the key signatures appear on the ball.  hope this helps

It does....thank you for your impute!

Vic Racshi...Tommy Henrich..and Frank Crosetti is also authentic...fantastic Reach Baseball...
Ralph Houk is also good...Yes Alan...like Mr.Zipper stated...sometimes other players or staff members would sign players names in to fill in the blanks...it was a very common practice back then and still happens in modern baseball club houses...I can recognise some like Ruffing...Dickey...Gehrig...Gomez...McCarthy...Dimaggio.. Stengel...Mantle...where a few of the more popular names filled in by others when they where not able to sign between the late 30's to the late 60's...but a professional third party authenticator can spot the lesser known players Iam not familiar with...

As I replied to Zipper, I cannot believe that this is something that was accepted by people. (Did they not know this?) And you're saying that this was common back then & still today!?!

Does this ball look to be a "Clubhouse Ball" in your opinion?

Thanks again for your time & opinion. I do appreciate it!

The key autos are good of the bigger known names Alan...I don't know about the lesser know names on there to be authentic simply because I don't recognize there signatures...that being said they could also ALL BE AUTHENTIC...you even have a Larry (Yogi) Berra on there as well...that could also be good as well...but I am not sure exactly what his super old style consists of because he did not sign Larry on many items only in his very early days on the Yankees...I would say just on a hunch that that is also an authentic auto...it is usually the bigger names that are clubhouse signed...but a 3rd part authenticator can best provide you that info...and for the fee of PSA or JSA looking at it...it will just increase the value of the ball in the long run...its worth it for the piece of mind...the ball is no question period and has the proper aging and toning...

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service