We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Here's something interesting I thought I'd share with you all. Some of you might have heard that the remaining members of Queen are making a Freddie Mercury biopic coming to theaters at the end of the year. This movie has been in the making for many years now and most queen fans assumed it would never actually leave the ground. But here it is. In discussing it with a few friends in the field both online and off, I have to agree the movie will provide new exposure to brand new fans and as someone else has so brilliantly put it: more exposure means new fans, new fans means higher demand, higher demand means higher value. I have to say I agree. This is actually something those of us in the queen collecting circle have been noticing over the last few months. Freddie's value has been growing recently and the movie isn't even out yet. For example, last year the going rate for a signed freddie on plain paper was about $400. Today, they are averaging about $550-$600 on plain paper. Last year, a fully signed album was worth about $1,200. Today they are averaging about $1,800/1,900 and growing quickly. Ive been collecting queen for about 40 years (yikes) and I can tell you this is not the same as usual yearly value growth. It's happening much quicker. Genuine Freddie autographs are spending less and less time sitting on sale. Last year it was common to see a freddie signed item for sale for a few days before it was scooped up. These days, we are seeing them being purchased within hours of being offered. Just a heads up for those of you interested in freddie signed items: now is the time to buy (safely). These autographs will be a great investment soon. Who knows how high the value will go this time next year. 

As usual if anyone is considering a freddie or queen signed item, I'd be happy to offer my opinions and help. 

All the best 

Tags: Freddie, Mercury

Views: 3676

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd be happy help anytime, just drop me a line here. And congratulations on your little one! All the best to you and yours 

rr just sold these

a program for 800  not signed by brian but that can be easy to get

a signed album for 1200 complete

and another signed album for 2600  complete

so prices are all over the place

all were complete bands signed some better contrast than others

Now I'm very curious to see if a movie will make the prices and demands go up.

I don't follow Queen but I will now for curiosity sake.

I saw them in the early 80's just for curiosity sake too. Pretty decent show and Freddy was a great front man. Great stage show too.

any hype usualy does 

also some how people who worked with them stuff stsuff to come out of the closet and usuly so aution house will do a tie in.

the johnny cash walk the line movie opened a new crop of fans to johnny

its marketing

freedie was probably one of the best front men in rock in roll.

I don't think they ever got the credit in America they get overseas .I think u get better deals here on stuff than overseas just my opinion and some resaearch,

but innuendo is the expert on them 

yes true any marketing hype will have it's effects

I'm just curious how much

Johnny Cash was a whole different thing. He crossed musical and cultural barriers like few people ever do. 

We'll see what happens.

having the right autographs is like playing the stock market or the art market 

unless ur doing it because u like the arists and don't care 

I was able to buy a nyc condo by using the colaterale of my collection as assets and pass a condo board .

u just have to be in for the long haul and really know what ur doing

I agree it's like the stock market in a sense but I don't get that deep.

I collect for me and that's all. I'm not in it for business related purposes. 

Also... you are a different breed in the life you've lived and items you've aquired. 

I've actually only sold 3 items since I was a kid and they were all posted on here to help fund my extended travels. I don't like to sell my stuff and that's the main reason I like autographs personalized to me specifically.

But my point is... Im just curious how this movie will affect things. That's all

Queen and fred is all I know so I have no clue what the value of a Johnny Cash goes for or went for before the movie, or James Brown either (speaking of biopics) but freddie, although highly regarded as one of rocks greatest showmen has never reached elvis presley or Beatles prices and I doubt he will in my lifetime. His value had grown every year, but nothing like a signed Lennon album from what I've seen and ive been collecting queen for 40 years. Itll jump for fred, but I mean to say itll be expensive for freddie mercury seeing as we are used to his price on plain paper being 400 just last year and 600 today (God knows what itll jump to next year thanks to the movie) and albums jumping up by the hundreds even before the thing hits theaters. 

yikes! That 2600 item is scary. That's a pretty big spike in price even with the hype. To be honest, a freddie roger and john signed item last year would have been about 800-900 so that's not too bad. It may have been low quality or rushed. 

As for freddie, I guess you could say I've been a fan for a quite some time lol. Seen them with fred 44 times and a handful of times with Lambert. But I followed Fleetwood Mac and The Eagles too. I had more free time and extra cash on my hands before my 6 kids came along! 

I dont get around like I used to but I still enjoy a good gig from time to time. 

I'll tell you what I saw in 91 when freddie died: hell, even in 1990. Rumors started floating around the press that fred had AIDS and he did stop making public appearances for the most part, so we all kind of figured something was up. The last tour was in 86, and by 89 photos of him started popping up and my wife had a friend who had it and it was hard not to spot the lesions on his face, poor guy. You could see it in photos of fred at the time. He had one just under his right eye. By 1990, his autograph had gone from jumped to about $60 thanks to the rumors. By the time the last few videos came out, they jumped up again. When he died in 91, those $60 autographs jumped to a few hundred. Then in 92 with the tribute show was held, came another jump in value. I was lucky enough to have known his last lover Jim Hutton. Jim told us about how he wanted to hang on to the stuff freddie gave him but he knew he'd need to sell some signed items eventually to pay for the meds (he was also HIV positive). Fred left him with a good amount of cash but he had a new house and the bills did build up. He died in 2010 and his stuff was sold around that time as well. When his estate was sold off, the value was even higher. 

Then again when Queen went on tour with PR and again with Adam Lambert. Each time they go on tour, you see a little spike in prices for freddie.

Each of these instances caused a jump in prices that was faster and higher than the normal yearly rate. 

2012ish when they released Rock Montreal in IMAX theaters, another jump. Each time it went up, it never came back down lol

Just slowed down a bit. 

It stands to reason this will make a bigger (maybe the biggest) jump. I hate to think about what prices will be then. 

Damn

That signed book I posted is looking better and better every time you comment haha. Looks like the pre-hype spell is working on me LMFAO

I'm enjoying this thx

Lol well again, no need to panic purchase! Just keep that in mind when considering a queen purchase in the next few months

I still think there under valued and rated in America compared to overseas. I knew one off fredies play friends in the early 80s so I knew he was gay he was also friends with  Rob Halford so I knew in 83 Rob was gay. Freddie was one of the grreatest front m en . Still I think a very under valued band maybe because they were big for 2 decades. 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service