We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Here's something interesting I thought I'd share with you all. Some of you might have heard that the remaining members of Queen are making a Freddie Mercury biopic coming to theaters at the end of the year. This movie has been in the making for many years now and most queen fans assumed it would never actually leave the ground. But here it is. In discussing it with a few friends in the field both online and off, I have to agree the movie will provide new exposure to brand new fans and as someone else has so brilliantly put it: more exposure means new fans, new fans means higher demand, higher demand means higher value. I have to say I agree. This is actually something those of us in the queen collecting circle have been noticing over the last few months. Freddie's value has been growing recently and the movie isn't even out yet. For example, last year the going rate for a signed freddie on plain paper was about $400. Today, they are averaging about $550-$600 on plain paper. Last year, a fully signed album was worth about $1,200. Today they are averaging about $1,800/1,900 and growing quickly. Ive been collecting queen for about 40 years (yikes) and I can tell you this is not the same as usual yearly value growth. It's happening much quicker. Genuine Freddie autographs are spending less and less time sitting on sale. Last year it was common to see a freddie signed item for sale for a few days before it was scooped up. These days, we are seeing them being purchased within hours of being offered. Just a heads up for those of you interested in freddie signed items: now is the time to buy (safely). These autographs will be a great investment soon. Who knows how high the value will go this time next year. 

As usual if anyone is considering a freddie or queen signed item, I'd be happy to offer my opinions and help. 

All the best 

Tags: Freddie, Mercury

Views: 3676

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Indeed, john. I know America had a big issue with Freddie adopting the gay clone look in the early 80s. I do think it played a big part in them not being as appreciated in the 80s as they were in the 70s. They sold out great in 2014 when they came back around with Lambert, though. I think America realized they screwed themselves out of a few great tours with that bigotry in the 80s.

I Rember in the 80s queen headling in the states and there arena tours not selling but there selling out stadiums oversseas

Exactly right. They went from playing tiny little things to stadiums and really carved out a piece of history with their stadium rock career. By the 80s, Queen was really tearing the house down with those stadiums shows. I caught them at Wembley in 85 for live aid and I compare that to the summit in Houston in 77, I cant decide which was better. Mercury had that rare ability to make everyone feel like they were close to the action. A great performer for sure. 

I wonder if the gay thing really affected ticket sales

You'd have to be kind of not clued in to not realize Freddy wasn't gay with a name like Queen.

Maybe it did maybe it didn't. I don't care much for that type of crap. If I like somebody, I like somebody. It never affected my interest in Judas Priest. But again, just look at his costumes. The gay thing wasn't an issue in my area growing up. Maybe we were just naive or just didn't care enough to make a fuss over it. Live and let live

BTW... I'm a straight heterosexual hahaha

Isn't that a song?

Rember it was the 80s some part pre aids then aids hits and it' classified as a gay diseeas. There was a lot of hatred going on back then.times were very differet back then

yes true

I remember all that now

And it affected sports celebs as well and whoever else was coming out at the time.

Now I remember Frank Zappa's response on David Letterman (or some tv show) about who is "plooking the monkeys"

That's a direct quote from Zappa... I still remember it because it was such a bizarre thing to say

Youd be SURPRISED at how many grown adults still have no idea that fred was gay. Huge queen fans. Refuse to accept it or just plain out say it was a "joke" freddie was playing on everyone.  Youd be AMAZED at how many of those people there are in the queen fanbase. 

The guy came out on stage wearing actual gay bar shirts, gay prints (pictures of naked men) on his chest and fans just stood there in line asking "when is he going to settle down and have kids? The other members have them". I kid you not. 

Then there was that infamous south American gig where freddie strutted on stage sporting his new mustache and cropped hair in leathers and the audience actually tossed blades and razors at him. Some places definitely had issue with the gay thing. Hell, even Brian May said fred was so into it that when he wrote Fat Bottomed Girls, he asked fred if he was even ok with singing the song because he was so...not into women lol. He also apparently had tell freddie to "turn it down" a bit because he felt like freddie was only catering to the gay fans and not everyone else. 

But you'll find hundreds of fans (mostly women) claiming even today that mercury wasnt gay. *Cough cough* homophobia *cough cough*

hahaha

that's darn funny stuff right there

Jim Morrison nailed it.. "people are strange" LOL

Ain't that the truth!

Still have my fully signed 80’s tour programme for sale!

Queen - Fully signed 1980's tour programme. Roger has signed twice! All have signed in biro and Roger again in silver.

£950 plus tracked and signed for shipping.

Attachments: No photo uploads here

DAG NABBIT Richard

you need to move to the USA for exchange rate and shipping purposes.

Or better yet, please move to Canada where my currency actually means something hahaha

Love your collection as it pops up my friend

Thank you buddy!

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service