We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Hi,

This guy has a lot of stuff but it seems to be done by GA, not GAI. How does he look and is GA better than GAI? I know the backstory and that GA had some mantle issues, but is GA a complete waste of time?

Views: 2171

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, I typed in Rodgers, and there are a list of problems, signatures themselves aside. I've said this before, but the sports autograph market is so tightly controlled that it can be pretty darned easy to spot the warning signs for a bogus seller. Here are the problems:

1) I'll eliminate the possibility that these were signed at a training camp. They weren't. You'd be incredibly lucky to get Rodgers for free now, and you sure as hell didn't get TEN of them. These are also far to nicely signed to be quick training camp sigs.

2) Proceding under the premise that these were supposedly from a signing of some sort. Here is a list of problems:
*The prices don't accurately reflect what Rodgers, Jennings, Driver and Nelson are currently charging.
*All these guys charge an arm and a leg to have footballs signed, especially Rodgers. Why would you get the cheaper novelty footballs signed instead of more desirable official balls?
*The style of signature on the football isn't typically the way Rodgers signs footballs.
*If these were supposedly obtained at a Rodgers signing, the signatures likely wouldn't have been off to the side. Just in general, the first of these players to sign the ball would likely do so in the middle, not off to the side.
*You wouldn't see that many Rodgers autos in a row with the R signed in that style.

Reminds me of this oh so well known place;

Who's website is that?  Looks familiar.

Amazon?

Looks like sportsmemorabilia.com to me.

brought to us by the very "reputable" wholesaler; SportsMemorabilia.com!

The ones that also brought all those "authentic" Hestons.

I wonder if they realize the one they claim has a Jsa cert comes up as;The certificate number d57xxx currently does not match our records.

Richard, well written.   Think about this.  How many Aaron Rodgers has he sold over the past two years?  I only showed the two he (dirty_water_ink) recently sold and the ten he has listed.  How many did he sell just this past football season and the previous (2010/2011) football season?

Maybe Liam can ask Ebay seller dirty_water_ink if they have a autograph contract with Aaron Rodgers? 

They recently sold two Celtics signed autographed basketballs of Garnett, Allen, etc.  But guess what, they are selling another one right behind those two. 

What about all of the team-signed items they list and sell.  They have three Boston Red Sox team-signed uniform items up for auction.  That doesn't include the ones they've sold in the past.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=red+sox&_sacat=0&_odkw=...

Does he have a autograph contract with Bill Belichick?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=bill&_sacat=0&_odkw=&am...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=belichick&_sacat=0&_odk...

Does he have a autograph contract with Mark Sanchez.  The list below doesn't include the Sanchez autographs he's sold in the past.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=sanchez&_sacat=0&_odkw=...

Or Andrew Luck?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=luck&_sacat=0&_odkw=&am...

Maybe Ebay seller dirty_water_ink had a private signing with Kevin Garnett?  Do I really believe that?  Of course not.

Thus, is the conclusion that the seller is a crook or simply "incompetent" presuming the opinions here are on target, including my own?

While a source (see above) was presented as a possible wholesaler and I am sure there are others do we then assume GA sports authentication is also incompetent based on the opinions here?

I seem to recall Starbrite found alot of "non-authentic" items in their warehouse.  Thus, should we also conclude that the "owners" were also incompetent or were they crooks, too before it folded?

Some sellers really do believe that if they obtain an authentication from an ebay cited reliable source be it JSA, PSA, or GA then it must be "authentic".   Mosi of us here know better but to ask questions that will never be answered or cast aspersions that can't be substantiated is simply a waste of time.

My vote would be "seller is a crook."  There's just too much pure garbage here for me to think otherwise.  Again, think of a how tightly the sports autograph market is controlled.  These athletes do well-documented signings.  There are any number of legitimate means of obtaining these items with rock solid authenticity.  Anyone engaging in this type of business should learn the tricks of the trade for obtaining these items through legitimate means in a manner that would allow them to price the items competitively.  

They used to include this in all of their auction descriptions.  Click the screen shot with your mouse to get a larger view of the text.

Perhaps I should show you dialogue as to what your former business partner thinks!  Nonetheless, that would take us in a different direction and again a waste of time as asking innoculous questions that won't be answered by a seller.

and it's pretty well known about your personal beef with Derek of Coolwater.  He also speaks well of you as I recall.

I have and he does read some of the threads especially the Harrison Ford one.  One thing about his practice is that while I might be paying a premium price (and I did) I don't have any concerns of what was purchased with regards to authenticity.  That practice however doesn't fuel graph chasers but on the other hand IBMs business practice is not to give a leg up or assist to HP either.

RSS

Members

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service