We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Greetings! 

Im in the situation that Im have been trying to find a place that can actually value it (in case insurance need to cover any damages if apartment burned down or theft.) Im not planning to sell the autograph I just want it valued (which I have tried doing locally without luck. (It was not their expertise) I live in Denmark and my best try was to send picture to a british company but without luck

The story of the Autograph: My aunt was a huge Morrison fan when she was young and she each week sent a letter to their studio in santa monica. One day she recieved the pictures letter with the signed picture (she wrote the date on the back of the envelope '4-27-71') I got it as a christmas present because I since I was really young have been talking about inheriting it after her (I like The Doors as well ;p)
My question is: How much is this worth? or where can I get it proper valued? The people I've tried have opted out saying an expert need to check it but living in Denmark Autograph checking is not something thats around :S

If anyone have an idea of the price range and if it even makes sense to get it valued (again for insurance purpose.)

Kind Regards Bo P

Tags: Jim, Morrison

Views: 1310

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not sure what you're asking. If it was mailed to Denmark, wouldn't it cost more than six cents, which was the cost of first class postage to a U.S. address?

Apparently not, I mean; How else was she surpose to recieve the letter? I know you guys are suspicious but I know 110% for sure that she mailed the adress tons of times through years and got that letter back. Whats the alternative to the letter not being from that adress? That they faked it and sent it from another US adress? Why go to the effort to recieve a letter at one adress and the answer from another and putting a fake adress on the envelope? :0 That would mean that they doctored the adress and signature at a point in time where it would have been way easier for them to just have Jim sign it! :D (Remember he was not dead at that time and he was back at santa monica at the time at least as far as I have read.)

Hello,

The story you relate can be factually 100% true and Morrison may have never seen this or any other letters your Aunt sent. I don't think anyone is suggesting your Aunt is lying.

Eric

May I ask where your aunt was living at the time?

Am I missing something in if it was postmarked March 8th, why would it be received on April 27th. That's 7 weeks later.

If you also look at the SON closely, each letter was written separately by itself meaning each one has a start and stop and is not in one continuous stroke which i've never seen him do, Same with the R's which are always done together.  Sorry

The SON is written in one motion I can see (when I hold the original photo against light) (The R's are seperated.) To be honest I have not read anything about them already hiring people to duplicate his signature at that point in time. He was alive and "well", why would they hire someone to duplicate his signature at such a small place? Would The Doors really go to such lengths for something rather unimportant and the time? Is there any else that have experienced them faking it at their studio when he was alive? :0

I doubt they "hired" someone to forge Jim's signature on all the fan mail. Some they responded too, most i'm sure they didn't respond due to the hundreds of letters they must have received in an average week. Whoever was in best at penning a sig that closest resembled  Jim's would have done the signed photo. Most likely one of the secretaries.          Jack.

That's the thing, the "R's" are separated and not once in my 104 authentic Jim exemplar files are they separated. Both the RR's are written in one single continuous stroke.The above shows the stop in the 1st R, and the "start" of the second R which begins with pressure and a very light ink spot beginning the upstroke which indicates a restart.

Now look at the start and stops on the SON portion.

In the next upstroke of the S into the O, it just stops at the top of the O. Then restarts traveling downward back into that diagonal line of the S and stops again with a very light ink spot .  Finally the N is re-started in the middle portion of the right side of the O with another very light ink spot and finishes off the N.   There's a stop, start.then another stop. then the final restart of the N on the right side of the O which only the finishes of the sig. 

Starts and stops/hesitations, call it what you want. Finally take a look at the O which somebody started it, wasn't happy with it, and then restarted the actual O shown below.Bo, like a few said, nobody doubts your aunt mailed a lot of requests for a JDM signed photo. I'm sure it must be disappointing finding out that all this time it's not real. Compare yours to know authentic examples and you will start to see the differences. Try paying R. Epperson $15.- for a quick opinion and guarantee you he says it's not real. Sorry if i sounded a little harsh, once again, this is not written in Jim's hand.           Jack...

Thank you for the elaborate argument. I can work with that! :) Thanks again! 

Kind Regards Bo

My aunt lived in "Skive" Denmark at the time (as written on the letter as well.)

I wonder who wrote the envelope out. That "oo" in "Doors" is an odd way to write an "o", no?

Eric

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service