We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

As far as autograph collecting and music fan experiences goes, I find the range of stories I hear about various meet & greets to be pretty fascinating. I've heard of people paying modest fees (or nothing) for wonderful, fun experiences - and other stories of fans shelling out large amounts of money for a massive disappointment. And, of course, everything in between.

I thought we should have a comprehensive thread on the topic.  Have you been to a pre-show or post-show meet and greet or know someone who has? Was it a bargain or a ripoff? What was the mood - structured and hurried or casual and fun?

My favorite band does meet and greets at every headline show they perform on this tour, chosen at fandom by fans who sign up for their fanclub and enter the show-specific drawing. There is no charge, and (usually) I don't believe a show ticket is even required. They were asked about this in an interview early this tour, and the response from one of the band members, Martin, was pretty passionate about musicians who charge high prices for meet & greets. FYI: I get that this band isn't quite a household name yet, so there might be a sentiment of "Who are they to say . . ."  However they have an interesting perspective as both successful musicians with Top 10 records and huge music fans themselves).

Here's that portion of the interview:

https://youtu.be/l1da-ZW_3OA?t=6m48s

Views: 14596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Unfortunately there are no conventions in South America.

Esp. considering the money involved. I heard MAG's with Bieber for example turned out for some to be a disappointment, but I've no interest whatsoever in meeting him. 

re: KISS: Sure did, and even to this day, you can find instances of where they do the right thing for their fans. But times have changed- consider that Gene & Paul have indicated that they will not tour with the band much longer and KISS will have "replacements" for them in the near future...in other words, they will be sending out 4 replacements players for the original guys yet still bill it as KISS, and I'm sure, still charge the same high prices, lol..

Really enjoyed reading that. Yeah some of these MAG's, this is bad considering the fees involved - seems some don't know how to treat their fans properly. 

When I met Michael J. Fox at LFCC, I got his autograph but as soon as I did and said thank you, plus a bit of eye contact, I was quickly moved on, so for a flat fee of $671, I spent about 10 seconds with MJF, but it was worth it - I would never get that opportunity again and it means I have a photo for life and a story to tell to future generations as well as people today, that I met Michael J. Fox, who in his own right, is a very big star.

Michael J. Fox is a major star. Always enjoyed his movies and Back to the Future series is classic!

I did see that BTTF reunion and MJ Fox package, and if I was in closer proximity would have been very tempted to go for it given how big a part of my childhood those movies were.

Thanks Joe and Rich.

When Michael was announced, I was concerned I may miss him and due to the high number on the diamond pass, was worried about getting a photo/autograph, but in the end, it was relatively straightforward and to be in the presence of such a major star as Michael was a dream come true for me - I am a big fan of Michael J. Fox and for the price of his diamond pass, it was a snip in my opinion at $671. 

This is probably the only time he'd do a convention too. Showmasters really pulled out all the stops with the reunion. The only thing to me which mattered more than anything on the Saturday was getting a photo with Michael and I was pleased to get his autograph as well on Sunday. Meeting Chris Lloyd was also a big deal, but not just for BTTF. They are both excellent actors. 

I am sorry Rich you didn't get to LFCC. 

That is exactly how I felt about Brian Wilson. If it had gone down differently like the Ozzy story, well I may have left bitter. I pretty much knew what I was getting and it went much better for me then I expected. I also know he is getting much older and after meeting Mike Love and Bruce Johnston I had to meet Brian, Al, and Blondie before one day it is too late.

Also with Mike and Bruce (while a free m&g I was given) we were told at the last minute no autographs due to time. However I was the only one to ask Mike and Bruce and they signed (that did make the handler mad) i probably would have been disappointed if I wouldn't have gotten them because (while free and I got a picture) it was rushed and in the Ozzy scenario I would have probably been pissed off if I paid and didn't get either.

I'd pay that to meet Harrison Ford $3000 but not to meet Ozzy. Also, with his treatment of the fans, that's what you call a risk investment - I hope the disappointed fans got their money back. 

Despite the money you pay, MAG's are usually over in a matter of seconds so it really is a premium service, but its worth every penny if you can get a photo/autograph. I've done few MAG's in my time unless you count a book signing as a MAG or just a casual autograph in the street/stage door. 

The prices of MAG's are justified in the respect you wouldn't probably meet these stars under other circumstances unless you were a dedicated enthusiast who had that type of access.

If I had the money I would pay that ammount to meet Paul McCartney if photo and autograph included.

Ringo has been doing his art shows and if you buy one of his art pieces you got a photo with him for $2000. The adt piece is signed and the procedes go to his lotus charity.

I bought an art piece from his website before they did this. However the ammount I paid was also less then $1,000. If I had the option. I probably would have done it.

I'd consider Paul McCartney and its good the money from the Ringo incentive goes to charity, otherwise I might have thought twice.

Has anyone seen or heard much about the Rock N Roll Fantasy Camps? Seems interesting, but I only know as much as what I saw on Pawn Stars. Which may not be all to legit.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service