We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Opinions on this ARod and 1998 team signed Yankee baseball

I have bought from this seller quite a few times and his pieces were legit, but I'm not familiar with Yankees autographs as I do not follow the evil empire(Red Sox fan here). I tried looking at authentic ARod autographs, but his signature just seems to be everywhere and changing constantly.

I would love to have these in my collection. Although it is hard for me to say, the Yankees from the late 90s and early 2000s arguably were the most complete team in history.

The team signed ball is signed by JOE TORRE, BERNIE WILLIAMS, MARIANO RIVERA, TINO MARTINEZ, JEFF NELSON, SHANE SPENCER, DAVID WELLS, DAVID CONE, CHAD CURTIS, CHUCK KNOUBLAUCH, ORLANDO " EL DUQUE" HERNANDEZ, JOE GIRARDI, JORGE POSADA, RAMIRO MENDOZA, LUIS SOJO, CHILI DAVIS, PAUL O'NEIL, TIM RAINES

Thanks,

Kevin

Views: 794

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And more
More
More

I wouldn't buy either of them.  You can get a Steiner a-rod ball for $100-$150 these days.. put your money towards that.

I'm more interested in the team signed ball. If he was going to forge it, wouldn't he at least put the biggest name, Jeter on it?
IMO the 98 Yanks ball is fine. No concerns at all from my perspective.

Don't know about the AROD. At the rate he's going, it may be a $40 autograph soon... So I wouldn't sink too much into one.
Awesome! Thanks for the opinion. I really want the team signed. It's an older style Mariano that I would love to have!

Kevin

the team ball bothers me.  the first thing I look at on these, because there were a large amount of forgeries in the late 90's on '98 team balls, is the Joe Torre.  either he had a very bad day here, or it is not his signature. I am leaning toward the latter.

Exactly my thoughts.  With all due respect to Zipper's opinion, I have collected a lot of Yankee autographs over the years and I have never seen a Torre that bad.  The formation of the r's is completely off.  Even if he sneezed on the "Joe" part, the rest is pretty bad.

I noted this as well. To me, given the haphazard placement and the slurred look of some of the sigs, it struck me as a ball assembled on-the-run. In my view, fakes tend to be more carefully drawn. For a forger to sign as quickly as this ball was signed, and get them this close... it would be a very skilled forger. And as Kevin noted, if it was a fake, why not add keys like Jeter, Brosius, Pettitte, etc.?

If you have any examples of fakes from this period, I'd like to see them. 

I'd like to see a larger and sharper image of the 98 ball. Of course, I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if it was bad. :-)

hey Zipper.  I was big into this team and did manage to get a super complete team signed ball in 99 of the 98 team. the only missing was Strawberry, and I ended up getting him in person.  my ball had I think 33 sigs on it.  but i had to sell it a few years ago. back then there were numerous forgeries, and the best way to tell them apart was by the torre.  I havent looked at the other signatures in detail, but some looked shaky, the torre is just really bad, in my opinion.  and that was the give away of those forgeries I mentioned.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service