We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

My question here is to not start an argument but point out an issue I find in the autograph collecting world. Let's say a member of your family happened to attend the first home game of the 1952 Yankees season, obtain a program, hold onto it for 28 years to then have it signed in person by Mickey Mantle at a show, display it for another 30 years, and eventually pass it down to the next family member. Then you attend a show and have a PSA agent tell you the autograph is fake. At this point you can only imagine how offended I was at that time considering I know this autograph is real, the story, and it has been passed down. The reason I was desiring PSA authentication was for insurance values on my HO policy. After researching Mickey Mantle's forgery I've now realized that its a difficult signature to say yes or no to, unless you have a picture of Mickey Mantle at the show signing the program.

So my question is, when a supposed expert denies a truly authentic signature by Mickey Mantle does that not put up a red flag for the industry and the true professionalism of PSA or other companies in that industry. Can a player signing 500 signatures a one given day, not have the chance to make a odd or unusual signature because they are tired, distracted, or whatever may have caused the signature to stray from the norm?

I would like to get your comments and feedback! And also I would like to get your comments on value as I added it to my HO policy for a value of $600.

Thanks for reading!

Views: 662

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree.

As we have seen more than we want to... somethings are turned down that shouldn't be while too many other ones are certified as being authentic and are the furtherst from being authentic.

when it comes to Mantle and a number of other celebrities the collective think tank around here appears to have a better accuracy.  Maybe we should form the AMagCertOperation and we too can have stickers..  

Here are some of the ones that I got during Piazza's rookie year

This may be the most examples I have ever seen of Piazza...these are fantastic...WOW...I only know of his style from the early 2000's and late 90's

Matt, in my opinion, you cannot post the scenario you describe unless you post a photograph of the item in question.

I agree with Mr.Williams...you should post a pic of that Mantle Matt before this becomes a Piazza thread...I don't doubt your story but at the same time there's nothing to go by either...please post a pic...I am sure we can get to the bottom of it...there's a lot of extremely knowledgeable people on here on Mantle that can and are willing to help you out... 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250659238431?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_...

Here is a perfect example I feel is something that should have been turned away even though it was deemed authentic...now this is a really sloppy Ford...but at the same time there is so many authentic qualities about it that I know its good...even though it seems like the "Whitey" potion looks like it's spelled wrong...and this is something I would not personally want in my collection....BUT...I think this should have been turned down even though I feel there is no question its good since I have met Whitey ford more times then most fans and seen him sign his name in front of me many many times with slight variations to it...Mostly with the letter "W"...but I think this should have been deemed NOT AUTHENTIC...that is a really bad example to compare to others in my opinion...

Of course, it would be nice to see the item and the provenance and show ought to be identifiable as well.

Just cause one person at a show representing PSA isn't the final answer.  There are other as well as other reputable TPA's that have as much clout.

for insurance authentication purposes one only needs to identify an equivalent number of items using reputable sites that sell such items.  Print them and store them with the item in question for posterity.

Let's hope we get to see yet another authentic mantle.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service