We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

I purchased a pre-framed autograph that was framed with non-UV resistant acrylic.  Since I've had issues with autographs fading when displayed with non-UV resistant frames, I want to replace the non-UV acrylic with a UV resistant glass/acrylic.  

Has anyone gone about doing this, if so, how?  Are there any recommended frame suppliers that would sell UV resistant glass/acrylic but not the whole frame itself?    Thanks for any help!

Views: 1431

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

from my experience, the UV acrylic is 50-50 in protecting an autograph. My home office has a sunburst window that lets direct light in the morning and then a patio door that is open all day...so it gets a lot of light. I have 35 photo displayed. Most have been up for 5-8 years. 8 are about 16 x 20' and they are all original.  The Ted Williams blue sharpie has faded in about 2 years to 50%. The Best Wishes Mickey Mantle #7 in thin blue Sharpie has faded to about 75% and it's never in direct light. 3 other Mantle's in various sharpie have faded very little, if at all. A DiMaggio in blue bic pen is subjected to direct light every morning and has not faded a bit. A UD silver sharpie Ted Williams has not faded a bit. A Casey Stengel in black sharpie on a magazine cover has not faded. That is my experience with UV acrylic glass and special framing. 2 pencil signatures from Koufax and Drysdale on Paluso's have not faded and do not have UV Glass. Take these examples for whatever they are worth. I think a lot depends on what the media is and what is the signature... pen, pencil or sharpies? Certain sharpie signatures can tend to fade over time no matter what, I think? Pen and pencil not so much from my experience. 

The rest of the 8 x 10's on the walls are photo copies of originals. They actually look better than the originals believe it or not. The originals are in plastic sleeves.

Very interesting Fudd. The item in particular that I have is signed with black sharpie. I have jerseys that are displayed in cases with UV resistant acrylic and havent faded at all. However, they are signed jerseys. The photographs for some reason tend to fade the most. In my experience, the regular non uv resistant frames tend to lead to fading the most though.

I've had it done at Michaels, where they just replace the glass with UV glass.  I display my stuff in a room with little to no natural light, so all the photos see are the fluorescent lights (and it's minimal).  I've had 0% fading over the last 8 years.

You have got to use conservation glass. For special pieces that are not too big I use museum quality. It is so nice not having the glare, not worth the added cost for a large item. I block out the windows in my game room so I really don't know how the glass protects.

Yes, you are correct about the conservation glass.  I agree with the Museum quality, it can get expensive for larger pieces.  

I used framedestination and purchased UV filtering glass. Only cost $12 with shipping. The anti reflective uv filtering version costs about $30 with shipping. The item that I am using it with isnt that valuable so I went with the cheaper version.

Here is a link if anyone ever needs UV blocking glass. Customer service was also very helpful when I asked them questions

http://www.framedestination.com/Picture-Frame-Glass.html

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service