We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Here's a signed poster that I'm sure most of you guys have already seen.It was sold on rr a while back and more recently on iconic.The first picture is of the piece in its original untouched condition.the second picture is of the same piece with major restoration work to it.The owner was asking me if I was Interested in buying it.With that kind of work done to a piece such as this,should I totally pass on it.How much can this effect the value?

Views: 4776

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

call Jaime, cause may not be senseless

He's right, Jaime Mendez is very good at restoration...and it sounds like reproduction. I believe these are the movie posters the seller was referring to:

https://www.fbi.gov/newyork/press-releases/2012/georgia-man-sentenc...

Jamie was not charged in that case, because while he did put the reproductions on vintage movie poster backings, he didn't offer them for sale. That's what the crime was. There isn't a law against making reproductions of artwork or collectables unless it's to defraud people.

I know this sounds odd, but Mendez has a very good reputation for quality, which gives me more confidence in the quality of the restoration. It was not restored by amateur.

Maybe you can ask the seller to bring it to Tracks to have it inspected...if Tracks will do that. I would have confidence in their in-person opinion of the poster. Offer them£100 for their feedback, unless they offer it at a different rate.

He also mentioned that he has a tracks loa.I just emailed him and asked him to send me a picture of it.it obviously has to be a tracks coa showing the piece after restoration.Ill post it as soon as I receive it.
I've heard through the grapevine that the posters that J.m restores sell at auction and the auction house doesn't state the posters have been restored.
So guys pay 1000's of dollars for restored posters.
J.m has a website.
Its all up to you Paul if you want it or not.
Also some Beatles signed items would be restored that slip through these auction houses.
That's true, Paul. I helped someone get a refund on a Beatles Frankenphoto they purchased in an auction at Juliens.

Frank Caiazzo remembered the autographs on it and realized they came from two or three different photos. Frank has that good of a memory. I have a hard time remembering what I had for breakfast.

I think that I heard the work was done by Jaime Mendez, as well.
To give you an idea of how good I hear Mendez is, I was told that he can take the coating off of a piece of coated stock with autographs on it and transfer the coating with autographs to a different item, like an album cover.
Im sure if we seen this J.m catalog of the work he has done , we would be shocked.
It really put a halt for me buying Beatles autographs. I've heard he can manufacturer Beatles albums with a lot of time and care.
Yes, it sounds like he can. I would not buy anything without rock solid provable provenance.

that's why I most often went with lyrics. It is a harder task to forge stanza after stanza of writing than 1 to four autographs

Steve,I'm going to get in touch with Jaime on Monday and send him the before and after, I'm going to ask him his take on his own job.

RSS

Members

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service