We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Hi everyone!

So I've been looking to buy a set of Beatles autographs for a little while now, and I'm torn between whether I should go for this one, found on RR, which ends tonight:

https://www.rrauction.com/bidtracker_detail.cfm?IN=568

The good news is it's oversized when opened, standing at 9x5 x 14.5." But it's a little more than I anticipated spending -- currently, the lowest possible next bid is $6,800, which is over $8,000 with the buyer's premium.

Now, I do recognize that I will likely not find another one this size for a while. But my question for you all is how good of a value this is? 

To be honest, I've been hoping to get a set for $5,500 or under, although based on my research it seems that may only get me an off-color, lower-tier, small page signed. If I keep a close eye on RR, can I get a quality set for a price like this eventually, one that goes for under estimate ( (not necessarily a big photo like the aforementioned auction, but maybe a more bolder set of signatures on a bigger album page)?

Or should I be expected to pay a higher rate for a more quality set -- an amount that would be not much less than the $8,000+ this magazine is going for?

Thanks for your help.

Views: 2481

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We'll if there are only 6-7 out there then this has surely got to be one of the nicest, congrats again Marc.

I know that one! A ton of money...but worth every penny.

Congrats Marc.Thats a beauty!

Yes, I remember that one too. I think it was originally obtained by someone in Guernsey and found its way from a UK charity shop to Frank in the space of months. There was a thread about it on here but I don't fancy hunting for it right now. Wish I'd had the dosh to buy it when it was auctioned. What a cracker! As Steve says, worth every penny.

As for the original post, I think you can safely assume that any Beatles items will find their "market price" at places like RR and Heritage so bargains are highly unlikely.    

Do you have a link to that thread or a title of that thread?

Beauty? For me is nothing of special... Ringo star is half visible and half no... John lennon signature is not too much nice... I prefer page signed and not photo... 

Hi Marc

After a bit of digging around I was successful in finding the thread. In fact there were two threads, one started by me at the time of the auction:

https://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/beatles-set-must-ha...

and one prompted by a related newspaper article:

https://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/beatles-magazine-si...

It was Jersey, not Guernsey, by the way. I wonder if the other example shown in the thread (from Tracks) was signed at the same time. It sounds as if a number of fans left magazines for the Beatles to sign and both your and the Tracks example has a pencilled name at the top (maybe the owners wrote their names on so as to make sure they got them back).

It is quite amusing to compare the sceptical comments made at the time of the auction and those made once Frank had "blessed" the piece. Maybe that says something about how important trust is in this hobby and how much faith is placed in the opinions of a few "market leaders".

By the way, if Frank's price was $18.5k, as stated in "my" thread, I don't think that is too much of a mark-up on the auction price which was probably around $10k with all the frills. Frank's blessing must add an awful lot to the value.

Marc,

Here’s the history of your wonderful piece:

http://paulontheruntour.blogspot.com/2016/12/beatles-magazine-signe...

Thanks Steve, that's the story in the second thread.

I think I got a bit confused on with my provenance. The Jersey story related to the Tracks' example, not the charity shop (Frank's) one.

I still think they could have come from the same signing session given the pencilled names and the fact that they are in exactly the same position. 

Thanks for finding your posts, Pug. 

I agree that they were likely signed  the same time Pug. 

Thanks everybody, very much! It’s nice to have more history about my piece. I think it makes a lot of sense that it was signed at Jersey at the same time based on the story that was told and they are labeled with the names in such a similar manner.  It’s nice to pin point it down more. That exact one shown in the referenced thread that was said to have been sold by Tracks I have found in two auctions. Once in April 2013 for over $21,000 by Iconicauctions. 

Attachments: No photo uploads here

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service