How do you identify a bad autograph dealer? Whether you're at their website, in their gallery or store, or they're selling at events or conventions, there are signs to look for and questions to ask that will minimize your odds of being taken by the crooks. Share your tips, questions and experiences here.

Tags: bad, buying, dealers, forgeries, galleries, safe, tips

Views: 13399

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

WOW! Take a look at this eBay seller who has what I think are quite incredible forgeries. What gives it away are he uses the same pen/marker or device, ink is new, ink is same pressure for his cut Houdini, Babe Ruth, Lon Chaney and Bobby Jones. But, WOW the consistency is amazing. The Ruth is spot on as is the Houdini. I could be wrong but what do you think?
http://shop.ebay.com/oldtymecandyshop/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&...

He is seller oldtymecandyshop and he set the auction only for 3 days which is another tactic of forgers to sell quick and get it off eBay than delete the images
You mean Babe Ruth and Indira Gandhi couldn't have used the same pen 30 years later?
Or they have COAs from this list of banned Ebay Items... Not to exasterbate this problem but Stan's Sport one have appeared under "seller" COA's sometime back as that Seller (who I returned a ball back too) had them reappeared under different handmade seller ones. Thus this list has a two edge sword to it....

Autographed items with COAs and LOAs, or references to COAs and LOAs from the following people or organizations:

Coach's Corner Sports Auctions LLC

Donald Frangipani

Forensic Document Services

Hollywood Dreams

J. DiMaggio Co. / J. DiMaggio Company

Legends Sports Memorabilia

Nathan’s Autographs / N.E. Autographs

Pro Sports / Pro Sports Memorabilia

Robert Prouty

R.R.'s Sports Cards & Collectibles

SCAA / Front Page Art / Angelo Marino

Slamdunk Sportscards & Memorabilia

Sports Alley Memorabilia

Sports Management Group

Stan's Sports / Stans Sports Memorabilia

STAT Authentic – Stevens-Taylor Authentication Team

Universal Memorabilia

XMI Authentications

USA Authentics

Blank COAs and LOAs

COAs and LOAs as stand-alone items

COAs and LOAs from anyone listed on the FBI's Operation Bullpen website
Mike Moses would be the forger for that area as well as Universal Authentic Memorabilia (San Clemente CA)that were caught up in Bullpen. It was based in Laguna Niguel, California. Below is yet another good article on the others;

http://www.sweetspotnews.com/bullpen.html

what's troubling about all these names and places is who keeps track when you end up at a store and not to say whatever happened to the millions of pieces of "stuff" that are still floating around.
Ho wis it that guys like this:
http://www.neautograph.com/

have not been arrested?
Mike, you mean you don't believe their claim of; Your Poster comes with a Lifetime Money Back Guaranteed Certificate of Authenticity. Plain and simple we thoroughly inspect any item we sell, to guarantee it validity. If we did not get it our self we go through painstaking inspection to make sure your poster is authentic. Customer satisfaction is our first priority! that comes after their many pictures of various people signings that who knows where they come from?

At those prices - I'm reminded of that one place in Minnesota (whose name I can never seem to remember who focuses on helping charitable organizations) that showed up at Simon Malls to seell copies or scans ofthe originals but just forgot to mention they were prepreints and copies of the originals.
and finding some interesting comments by others who have ventured there;

Eric 11 months ago

I really would have to disagree, in my experience everything they sell is a forgery. I purchased a poster from them a few months ago and it came with a "certificate of authenticity" that listed the signers. Unfortunately, when I checked the certificate to the poster one of the names was missing. When I emailed them to ask them about it, they told me to check again. I did and informed them that the signature was indeed missing. At this point they have not returned any of my emails. So I guess I learned a $130 lesson, don't do the same.

john 9 months ago

Ne Autograph is the worst company I have ever done business with. I ordered a poster and had a few questions about it but trying to get someone to talk with me was like pulling teeth. After about 1 month of trying I just gave up called my credit card company and had a hold put on the purchase. This company sucks, if you know what's good for you do not purchase anything from these idiots.
Sean 8 months ago

Clark Gable signed a poster on that site well after his death.

I would definitely buy from them, as they have the ability (get this) to RESURRECT dead actors, and get them to sign POSTERS!! THEN (seriously) you can get the posters which are worth THOUSANDS of dollars for under $400!!!!

Amazing people, sent directly from God himself. I plan on having them resurrect my grandmother soon, so that I may have my last words with her.

These people are not only magical, they are committing a crime under federal law. The writer of this article must suffer from a brain degenerative disorder.

Marci 7 months ago

I too was ripped off by NE autographs. I purchased the Star Wars Movie Poster signed by all the actors, once I received the poster all the signatures looked like they were signed by the same person and I contacted NE and requested a refund, he refused and never returned any more emails. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM, THEY ARE FAKE!!!
How do these forensics get away with this? They have been at it for years and the majority of the items comes from California?
A lot of the forgeries sold by the gallery-type sellers seem to come from California. For all we know, they may be penned in Penn. and shipped to distributors there. The guitars sold by Gallery of Dreams are almost certainly penned in Cal., because of the cost to ship them to a forger and back.

I don't know about NE Autographs, etc. I imagine they're forged in-house.
You gotta see this!!! A rare button gwinnett signature HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
http://www.myccsa.com/Lot/212/button-gwinnett-hand-signed-cut-signa...
With no Morales certificate, Rick, I'd be wary of its authenticity! If it were real, it would certainly be worth more than the $376 bid on it, don't you think? In their auction, maybe $600?????

Those people will sell anything. Thinking of consigning my Julius Caesar signature to them.
Is that the one you got in person?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service