We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

How do you identify a bad autograph dealer? Whether you're at their website, in their gallery or store, or they're selling at events or conventions, there are signs to look for and questions to ask that will minimize your odds of being taken by the crooks. Share your tips, questions and experiences here.

Tags: bad, buying, dealers, forgeries, galleries, safe, tips

Views: 13339

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello,

My Dad just passed away.  I had given him a signed Mickey Mantle lithograph by Angelo Marino as a gift from my wedding.  I was looking it up and was so shocked to find out that it may be a fraud.  I paid over $700 for it.  How woul I know for sure??

Thanks so much for your help, 

June

June, condolences to you & family on the passing of your dad.  Your dad, I'm sure was estatic to have received such a great sentiment from your wedding and that is what is most likely meant thru those years.

Unfortunately, you can read about marino here; http://sandiego.fbi.gov/bullpen/bullpen.htm and come to your own conclusion.

there are also a couple of mantle threads here on AM but those that came from these people could pass as authentic, which they are not.

DB,

I don't think she's talking about the same Angelo Marino. She's talking about the East Coast artist.

Thank you so much for getting back to me.  I appreciate your kind words.  Dad did really enjoy it - he kept it all protected and stuff.  Dad was from NYC and was a die hard Yankee fan.  Dad was born in 1929.  I am VERY happy I found this out when Dad had joined Mom above.  Sad how people take advantage of others.  I do appreciate your help.

All my best - june

You'll want to show it to an expert, but upload it here and you'll get some pretty reliable opinions. There's a good chance it's just fine...there are lots of good Mantles out there...he signed a lot.
So there is a chance it may be real????  That would be a nice thing to find out.  Can I take a picture of it and upload that - I do not have a scanner big enough to handle it.  By any chance do you know of an expert in the Hartford, Conn area?  I purchased it in Dallas where I lived.  I am up here now where my Dad and sisters live.  Thanks so much for your help!  june

June,

There's an excellent chance it's good. The Angelo Marino you're talking about is the artist. DB thought you meant he was one of the Marino brothers, who were in the forgery business years ago.

Just shoot a shot of the artwork and a close-up of Mantle's autograph and that should be fine.

Hi Steve,

I appreciate all your help!  That is so wondeful to hear!  I am attaching the pics!!!! 

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Took the scan and rotated for a better visual...looks elevated from this view   Whose COA & signature is that & is it guaranteeing the art, signature or both? 

Thank you for checking this out!  I am so happy to hear that it looks elevated.  The COA says it certifies the lithograph and the signature.  It says the signature contained on the aforementioned article is guaranteed to be quthentic and in no way a copy or misrepresentation of the individual indicated.  Your thoughts???  Thank you again!

SC Update: Upon closer examination, the expert I showed it to felt it was not genuine. Please read the later postings in the thread. Sorry for the mistake.

June, showed it to one of our experts and they're sure it's real.

great so long as it's not a pre-print as scans can sometimes be misleading when you don't have the original item in hand or last I knew.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service