We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

U2 Joshua Tree Poster allegedly signed by all the fellas in 1987

Hello, I'm new to the site as I'm not really a collector.  Was looking for some opinions on a poster my good friend gave me as he knows I'm a huge U2 fan.  It didn't cost me anything and I would like to know some of your opinions

Here's the story as he told me.  This is a poster from 1987.  The Joshua Tree.  While on tour for The Joshua Tree they came to Las Cruces, New Mexico to play at the Pan Am Center.  As far as I know this is the only time they've ever come through my state.   The story goes that they had some jewelry made or fixed at a jewelry shop in Albuquerque, New Mexico where I live.  My friend's sister was the girlfriend of the fella that did the jewelry work.  Supposedly they signed the poster for him when they came to his shop to pick up their order or whatever he fixed for them.  According to my friend, the signed poster was put in a frame glued to a piece of cardboard.  Apparently she used the frame and put a poster of some fairies or the like in front of the poster and it was behind this alleged poster all these years.  

Anyway, needless to say they broke up many, many years ago and he went crazy looking for this poster when they broke up but he didn't know she had put a poster of some fairies in front of his signed U2 poster.

It was windy a couple of months ago and she had her window open and the framed fairy poster fell and broke exposing the Old U2 signed poster.  She didn't care for U2 so she gave it to her brother (my friend) that in turn gave it to me. It's a great story and like I said I paid nothing for it.  I'm just putting this up to see if anyone can help me out.  I've looked at many U2 autographs and I'm on the fence.  I just don't know enough.  I'd love if anyone can help and have an opinion.  

Thank you all for taking the time to read this up.  I'll post the picture of the poster.

I found an old Adam Clayton autograph that is pretty close to the one I have...but hey...I have no idea.  

Views: 619

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i'm only more familiar with more modern signatures of theirs, but these look more like innocuous fan scribbles than any real attempt at forgery, as they are significantly different than anything i've ever seen. i'm sure Jan or some of the other U2 collectors on here can give you better opinions.
Hey man, Thank you for your reply. Yeah, that's what I was thinking because I've only been able to find their more modern signatures and I really truly know nothing about this stuff.
You think to highly of me Jason! :-) I can only spot the most obvious fakes, for everything else I need help from the real experts like Rich!

But that is what’s great with this site, everyone always help out to the best of their knowledge!
I have a complete set from 1981 and they havn't changed that much. I have no doubt that yours is fake beyond a doubt

unfortunately these do not look genuine to me

Thank you for your swift reply and opinion.

Thank you for you opinion and swift reply.  

I agree, these unfortunally look way off to me too!

Here’s a great site with lots of genuine U2 graphs from different years to use for comparision: http://www.u2eastlink.com/collector/firmas/

And if interested, here’s my small U2 collection: https://live.autographmagazine.com/photo/photo/listForContributor?s...

Thank you for your swift reply and opinion.  And I love your collection, it looks like a lot of love and hard work went into them.  

In 1987 their signatures were VERY different than the ones that are on your poster. Looks like someone tried to copy older style sigs  onto it. 

Sorry but not authentic.

Thank you for opinion and swift reply.

Absolutely not. Done by an incompetent forger.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service