We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Hi, My dad went to work , age 15 at The Imperial Hotel, Torquay , England, summer of 1963.

The Beatles only concert appearance in the seaside town of Torquay and they performed at the Princess Theatre.

My dad served the Beatles in the restaurant and chatted quite a lot with them.He told me that he took a menu from the restaurant and later , after work, went to their  hotel rooms, knocked on the doors and they all signed the menu for him. He told me that John and Paul were in one room and Ringo and George in adjoining room. There was no security, he was invited into their rooms, chatted an then left with the menu.

My dad has since passed and I am wondering what the value of this original dated menu  would be worth if I was to sell this.

Thanks

Julie

Views: 2509

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

+1.

It is an option and  I would have to discuss this option with my brother and sister.  It does have a lot of sentimental value, probably more to me than my siblings.

Do items like this ever lose their value?

No. 

I have to agree with Eva. This should be kept in the family. It is extremely special. Think about it. You dad and the Beatles? Wow!!!! 

Thank you Marc, I will do.

This has been a very interesting thread and it's great to see so many knowledgeable people offer good advice. I guess that's why we are here!!!

I thought it would be interesting to outline all the scenarios. If I miss any or am off base on some please correct or add to it.

I am using the amount of $10000 USD as suggested by Perry as the upper range of the sale price.

Option 1 - Keep it in the family as a treasured heirloom. It has a great history and there is only one of them. It's not likely to lose any value and may increase in value over the long term.

Option 2 - Sell to a respected dealer. This would be an easy no hassel sale but the net proceeds to you would be about 50% of its fair market value (FMV). Thus say you would get $5000 USD or less.

Option 3 - Consign the item to a respected dealer. Assuming a commission rate in the 23% range and the dealer auctions it with no reserve.
Sale price $10,000 would net you $7700
Sale price $7,500 (no reserve and it hit the low end of the pre sale estimate)would net you $5,775 USD.

Option 4 - Sell it yourself in an on line forum like ours or eBay. Your costs could be around $200 if you can get or need a COA. (I personally think the autographs speak for themselves and you won't need a COA). Going the eBay route you would likely put a reserve on it to protect your investment which could equal the lower net sales price in option 3. If it sells you would get your reserve fee refunded and would pay a 10% selling fee on the final price. If it sold for $10000 you would net $9000 less the cost of the COA if you purchased one. Getting $10000 might be pushing it if that's what Perry thinks he could sell it for. So might be less.

Option 5 - Sell it via an auction house ie: Christie's, Bonham's, Sotheby's all UK based locations. Commissions range from 15 to 20% of the hammer price. This is very similar to Option 3. In fact Option 3 may be better than Option 5 as the respected dealer may get a higher sale price than the auction house.

For me Option 1 is best but that would depend on many factors.
If selling is a must then Option 4 looks best to me. More work for the seller but much greater control on what the sale price will be.

Thank you for outlining all scenarios - We will consider them all.

I will let everyone know in a few weeks when I have discussed with my siblings

Many Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Julie

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service