A fellow member has asked for opinions about this signed 1984 Van Halen album in another thread.  There are things that I like and things that concern me about it so I wanted to post it as a new discussion with the hope that we can get more members to comment on it.  Thanks in advance.

Views: 7743

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What doesnt appear authentic about them ?

Additonal photos.

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Unfortunately, these items all look bad. They all appear to be signed by the same hand, and not by a member of Van Halen. The ones Darren posted are legit examples. The 2nd one is fully certed by Roger Epperson! I dont know what Van Halen autos you have been comparing too, but this guy who gave you this story on these items is full of it. I hope you didnt buy them from him because none appear to be authentic.

Additional photos

Additional photos. Notice there are variations in all with the inscriptions made. To think every person always autographs and inscribes every item exacly the same is crazy. I work in the Nuclear Power Industry and have to sign numerous ST's and documents every day. My signature changes throughout the day not to mention through out years. You need to look at more than just one detail of an autograph to grade its authenticity. Look at the angle of attack, thickness of lines, and certain KEY indicators which can change as well. Gene simmons had a distinctive autograph in the 90's which is much different than his current autograph. I actually like his older autographs much better. I know because I got them in person. To think that a person always signs the same for their entire life is crazy. That is why I struggle with authentication companies. They dont want any information on when or how the autograph was signed. That is crazy. I would never attempt to assess an autograph unless I knew exaclty when it was signed and under what circunstances. It is important for it can help justify changes in the autographs. And to forge 4 autographs is extrememly difficult. There is no way I could be fooled on 4. Maybe 1 or 2 but not 4. This 1984 album is as good as they come. Who cares that David didnt put the year below neither did Eddie. The general ambience of each of the autographs is good. Assess as you please I am done with VH. This is a good album. Thanks for your time.

After reading that thread - I have to say I will stop now buying VH album on the net. Only self obtained signatures are the real deal. i´m also shocked about the offers from AutographsNetwort. This guy is a total criminal. He has flodded the market since years with thousands of forged items - he is offering hundreds of Van Halen signed albums, drum skins, instruments - would love to hear all the thoughts of all the other members here in that forum regarding Brian Burkel:

http://www.autographsnetwork.com/product_list.asp

Please DO NOT buy from Autographs Networ. Owned and operated by Brian Burke who has done hard time. He used to run the Internet site Autographs America until people started bad mouthing his site so much on the net he was losing sells. His bbusiness model is simple. He purchases guitars, drum heads, and albums at wholesale pricing. He hires artist to come in and sign all his stuff. He goes to meet and greets to get his picture taken with the artists to use as his website home page. Its actually quite funny because you can see he superimposed some of his photos into photos of bands using photo shop. He then lists the items at a fairly high price but always offers 90% to 95% off specials so people think they are getting a good deal. Then when you purchase items from him you first have to agree to terms and conditions. Knowing most people dont read them there is hidden verbage that doesnt allow you to gile a claim with your credit card company when you realize his stuff us fake. Obvioulsy when he did time he researched the laws (or knows a pretty sleezy lawyer) and figured out a way to ensure he never has to refund money when people realize the stuff is bad. Unfortunatly most internet companies I have seen sell mostly fake items. As much as I despise how ebay treats their sellers they are probably the best option for purchasing autographed items. Even though over half the items are fake on ebay at least you have the means to get your money back. Sorry you got taken. I got taken early on as well. Avoid internet companies.

I agree...they don't come any worse than Brian Burkel/Autographs Network/Autographs America.

kissdestroyer your Van Halen signatures get funnier and funnier - PLEASE post MORE - MORE - MORE. We want to see the whole collection!!!!!! we are begging.you can't stop now! D.R.

Show us your items. I would be interested. Hate to say it but when you sign with a thick sharpie the lines on the signatures are going to be thicker and look more similar. However when you look at the angles of the lines and flow of the signatures they are legit. You are entitled to your opinion but I know the source, have backstage satins from the source (which is more than I have seen from anyone else with the exeption of a Roger authentication which is questionable based on him selling on the side), and have infromation regarding details about the band members that only insiders would know. I am as confident as one can be without actually being present during the signings.

Ok, kissdestroyer, you have proven yourself to be a complete fool when it comes to autographs. I really look forward to Epperson coming on here and embarassing you!. You have shown that you have no knowledge whatsoever when it comes to music. You say that Roger should stay to sports?????? Have you ever even heard of the man? He has never authenticated sports so why should he go back to them? that is the stupidest statement i have heard in a while. Then you say that Roger doesnt really know music, yet he is considered the best in the world, so his opinion is near the end all be all as you say. Then you say he should specialize in one area, are you that ignorant? He specializes in music, and only certain areas of music! You my friend have no clue about autographs and you should really crawl back to the hole you came from. Then you compare Epperson to a drug dealers????? Again how stupid. Then you go on to state that in order to be competent you need to be a forensic examiner, again are you that ignorant? Its well known in this hobby that the only forensic examiners in this business are all horribly corrupt and they are looked at with the credibility of coaches corner. Again your statements are pure ignorant trash.

Then you state that the only way to be sure of a sig is to get it IP, yet you are defending VH forgeries that are blatant, and you didnt get them. Yet you have some back stage passes, woooooooo that means alot. Look online right now and youll find forgeries better than yours that come complete with doctored pics of people signing including backstage passes and whatever else, you name it. Your items are forgeries and you dont have a clue what your speaking of. You try and opine on some VH items that are rock solid by calling them forgeries while yourself having some of the worst forgeries i have seen in a while.

You have shown your ignorance and your lack of knowledge in all autographs by your comments. You have been told what your autographs are, and you have proved what kind of an individual you are. You have lost all respect on this site and should go back to fanmail.biz. I am sure over their your VH forgeries may pass as real among the other 15 year olds. 

I have an email where Epperson tells a friend of mine that someone within PSA has it out for him and blacklisted his entire collection because this person would not sell his collection exclusively to PSA. PSA has issues just like any other company that sells on the side and has influence with ebay. And this is owned by the person you idolize, Epperson. Jonathan Gonzales has kicked many good sellers off of ebay based on the input of these 3rd party authenticators and World of Autographs (Michael Hoppe). If they dont like a seller they send Jonathan an email and zap you are gone with no recourse. It is really an unjustice to some good people in the market place. I just attended a PSA/DNA session and not much music stuff but tons of sports items. And for your information PSA started off grading sports cards. At lease they semed to be honest at that time. Get it, SPORTS cards. This PSA/DNA session was crazy with people dishing out cash by the bundles. At least they are up front with you when they emphasize "You have to pay the full amount regardless of the outcome. We are giving you an opinion and an opinion only." Why would a good person charge full price for offering an opionion on an item that you refuse to back with a Company stamp? On top of it they sit behind the curtain and refuse to face you. They let cash handlers do their dirty work and tell many good people "IN PSA/DNA OPIONION, your stuff is bad" and gladly take your money to the bank. It is highway robbery! We took a VH piece as well as several others to the Authentication Company that does work for the Pawn Stars out of Las Vegas and does forensic work for the FBI. All 6 items passed with no issues. Some came fromt bands photographer as well as other sources. This company doesnt sell on the side and offers only authentication services. That is the kind of Company I can trust. Not PSA/DNA, JSA, GAI (which is basically owned by the World of Autographs) all that have a Conflict of Interest. If you dont understand what a Conflict of Interest is then go to any Corporate Human Resources manual for leaders and the first thing they tell you is avoid all conflict of interest situations. Every leadership training I have received emphasizes this and gives numerous examples of how this can happen. Companies get sued badly for these types of issues. Go ahead and waste your money gambling that these authentication companies will back your item with their sticker or not. If you research the better business bureau you will find numerous complaints about their practices. The person that seems to be uneducated here is you. You dont like my stuff, fine. It only matters what I think for it is mine. Where is your stuff and what are your credentials? I know more about this industry than you will ever know. It is corrupt at all levels and unfotunatley causes a lot of issues with what is real and not. When you have something valuable to add rather than taking personal shots at me I am willing to listen. You have done nothing of the sort to date. Have a good day. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service