We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Walt Disney World Company Guarantee of Authenticity

I am wondering how many people have heard of or seen autographs that have been sold at the AFI store on the backlot of MGM Studios (now Hollywood Studios). They all have a seal of authenticity on the front of the nicely framed autographed photo as well as a Certificate of Authenticity that is taped to the back of the frame entitled "Guarantee of Authenticity".

Each certificate is numbered, however I have yet to find a registry for these autographs. This store is not to be confused with Starabilias formally located at Downtown Disney (since closed). There also was a store that has also shut down called Sid Cahuenga's One of a Kind Shop. Most of the autograph items they had were moved to the AFI store as well.

They continue to sell autographs with this seal and certificate of authenticity and was curious what people know about it or if there is a registry. I happen to own a Christopher Reeve autograph that was purchased at this store in 1994. I have several Reeve autographs and it looks authentic and I have asked others and they concur as well.

Would love to know your thoughts and experiences on this topic. I'm sure many of you have gone through this store and looked at some of the items yourself. Lot's of Walt Disney checks and other autographs have sold there and are for sell there today as well as other entertainment celebrities. 

Lastly, I take great comfort in the fact that the leading Disney authenticator, Phil Sears, guaranteed one of the Disney Autographs to be genuine. I have posted a picture of it as well. Nevertheless, please interject and bring your expertise to this discussion ladies and gentlemen.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Tags: Authenticity, Autograph, Christopher, Disney, Guarantee, Phil, Reeve, Sears, Walt, World, More…of

Views: 9385

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sort of.  There's no individual theme park, but there is a Hollywood section within California Adventure.  I don't believe there are any stores selling autographs there.

Downtown Disney used to have a Starabilias (decidedly bad outfit), which sold autographs.  It is no longer there, and I'm fairly certain there were no Disney-authenticated items.

Gotcha. You are correct. Starabilias is definitely not associated with disney. Went belly up on mass forgeries.

I'll be there tomorrow, I'll check it out, thanks!

Wow! Have a wonderful trip! And please update us on the any autograph stores on the property. Thanks!

Ok here's my comprehensive 2 year Disney autograph experience:

Orlando:

Sid Cahuenga's autograph store that used to be by the entrance to Hollywood Studios is now closed, but the autographed merchandise can still be purchased at the AFI Showcase which is by the exit of the studio backlot tour.  All the autographs that I saw were legit, originally sourced from Michael Wehrmann.

Also, Tatooine Traders, the shop just outside of Star Tours, sells Star Wars autographs.  No big names - I think Jeremy Bulloch was the biggest name I saw - but a neat selection that was reasonably priced.  These were also from Michael Wehrmann, and were legit.

Anaheim:

Nothing like Sid's, but some neat Disney pieces inside Disneyland.  There are a few shops right along Main Street that sell artwork and collectibles.  Their selection included some animation artwork and autographs from Disney animators as well as a check signed by Walt Disney.  Very pricey, but fun to look at.

The Star Trader shop outside of Star Tours sells officially licensed photos, but no autographs.

I'm glad Disney was able to clean up from the Starabilias mess and get a legitimate source for their material.  That's more than can be said for a lot of other tourist spots.  Good on Disney!

Mike, do you remember the pair of stores in Pleasure Island that were just like Sid's?  Reel Finds (or something like that), and then a music autograph store just to the left of it?

Oh boy thats going back a little bit.. Reel Finds and Superstar Studios?  I think?  They both closed when they redid Pleasure Island around 2006-2007.  To my knowledge there are no more autographed collectible stores in either Downtown Disney.

There is a shop called D-Street in Downtown Disney in both California and Florida, they have some cool Marvel posters, photos and collectibles.  No autographs though.

I remember the sports themed store on Main Street in Magic Kingdom selling some sports autographs.  Similarly, the sports store (Team Mickey?) in Downtown Disney/Village Marketplace sold sports autographs.

Interesting!  Team Mickey closed 2012-2013.. somewhere in there.. they were renovating the building the last time I was there.  I didn't know they had autographs in there, I thought it was just sports-themed disney merch.

No such thing in California unfortunately.. I did all of downtown disney and main street in Disneyland yesterday.

Just asked the same question. Is WDW COA as good as PSA or JSA? The Disney name is gold but not sure about their reputation with autograph COAs. Anyone with good or bad examples? Thank you.

Have you read through the thread, Mike? It might answer some of your questions. It's not really that cut and dry.

Here is a Harrison Ford that Disney Authenticated. I still haven't had anyone come up with where this registry is located or if anyone takes issue with any of their authenticated products. Obviously they haven't put these out in a very long time....however, I do still find them fascinating as it pertains to their origin and who really authenticated them. 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service