I am starting to feel that collecting autographs may be somewhat of like throwing my cash into a $ Pit! Is it the poor economy nowadays ir what.I do enjoy it,but as an investment I wonder if I will ever get my $ back on them or even make any kind of profit @ a later time?Does anyone else have the same mindset or am I just being a "bummer"? Wondering

Views: 585

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Josh, Pete, Rich and Mike - great comments.  My experience mirrors certain points that each of you make.  From Pete - if you want to own something that's going to hold value, it's going to cost real money.  From Josh, in person collecting is a totally different experience (more on this in a moment).  From Rich - I can see the point of the book and as general matter, widely circulated investment books for beginners often warn against the more exotic forms of investing.  Still, I do believe that attempting to buy investment-grade music memorabilia is actually possible and is a valid approach.  Which leads comfortably to Mike's last point, that over time, taking the long view, value appreciation can be expected.  There's a great deal more I could say about the investing element of this, but I wanted to circle back to Josh's point.  My life is not organized in a way that would allow me to obtain many in person autographs.  Indeed, I have one only.  But it was such a great experience I thought I'd share.  I attend an annual industry conference each fall.  Last year the location was San Diego.  The conference rented PetCo Park for the final evening, and I mean the entire stadium.  The entertainment was LosLobos opening for Jason Mraz.  I got a pass to the meet/greet.  In advance I purchased two matching small Jason Mraz posters and took them along hoping to get at least one signed.  When it was my turn for the photo op, I stood right next to Jason and asked if he would autograph something for my wife.  He said "sure man - hang back and I'll get you on the way out".  After all photos were done he made eye contact and I came up with my two posters.  (by the way, nobody else had thought of this, so I was the only one getting something signed).  I told him my wife's name and he signed beautifully for her.  I said, "do you have time for one more, for me, before you have to go?"  He said "Of course."  So i put down the second poster and asked if he could sign "the curbside prophet", which is the title to an early song of his.  He looked at me with a big smile and said "Are you the Curbside Prophet, or is that still me?"  I said still you of course, and we both started laughing.  He signed my poster, shook my hand and said "Thanks for listening for so long."  He was the coolest, nicest guy ever.  It's an experience I'll never forget and this piece means something different to me than everything else I own.  

RSS

© 2009-2017   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Community Manager.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service