We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

I have doubts about this Andy Warhol signed Marilyn Diptych magazine cut but would appreciate opinions.  Thank you in advance.

Views: 384

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It doesn't look bad at first glance but I don't like the way how the signature dramatically loops all the way around the top at the end. I have several Warhol autographs and have and never seen this in any example.

+1

Thank you Franklin Teng and Eric Keith Longo.  I was focused on the shape of the "A" but never thought about the hoop over the signature.  Appreciate you both sharing your feedback.

You are most welcome. Here is my Andy with an (affordable) 1980 Mapplethorpe postcard:

Nice.  I actually have the signed magazine cut framed with this same postcard.  Classic Andy Warhol image.

This actually looks good to me. I have seen Andy sign off his signature like this before, although not often.

Thank you Richard Booth.  This is encouraging.

I have read a lot of posts discussing variations of signatures which may be related to context (e.g., rushed in-person, meet-and-greet, TTM, etc.).  This item appears to be a magazine page which is not much bigger than the exposed Marilyn diptych image (i.e., it is not the whole magazine page but only the image).  My guess is someone may have had Andy Warhol sign the image in the magazine and then they may have removed the signed image rather than saving the entire magazine.  

It is always a crap shoot when you don't see them signing the item directly, but I appreciate you and other members on this forum sharing your knowledge as I continue to learn.

I think Richard is probably correct. I definitely wouldn’t rule this one out.

Thank you BallroomDays67.  You have given me more hope than where I was when I posted this image. 

Carrying my hypothesis forward, perhaps this image was on the bottom of the magazine page and he had no room for a flourish below his signature so put it above while avoiding writing across the main image.  Since this is framed, I am reluctant to remove it to see what else I could learn by looking on the back side.

Thank you to everyone on this forum for sharing their expertise and knowledge.

It may very well be genuine, but not typical, which is a concern for some. Careful with buying framed items - you never know what is inside. I once found duck tape when I was a framer! :(

Thanks again, Eric Keith Longo.  Potentially having an "atypical" signature is better than what I thought I had before everyone's feedback.  I acquired this unframed about twenty years ago and do not recall what is on the back. However, since I had it professionally framed, I hope there was no duck tape involved. ;)

Here is a photo including the Warhol postcard.  Sorry about the glare but I am too lazy to take it off of the wall.  Seems you and I had similar ideas for our displays.  Thank you for all of your help.

Thank you for sharing that photo - lovely :) Always happy to help if I can. Stay safe :)

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service