We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

F946977D-A5EE-4317-B561-816F14F233BC.jpeg

9B0A5C58-4419-45AD-BB13-3DFA9C7F8D47.jpeg

Hello, 

on Frank Caiazzos Beatles autographs site (section special items) are two full sets from 1967.

One is signed in pencil (the cheaper one) and one is signed in ballpoint pen.

Are signatures in pencil basically cheaper than in ballpoint pen and why.

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Views: 363

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Autographs in pencil are typically worth less than the same example would in pen, because writing and signatures of permanence are expected to be in ink, outside of notes and schoolwork. 

The pen example is not personalized, unlike the pencil one, and the autographs are signed and positioned better overall, so it would be worth more in any case.

Thanks a lot Steve, that‘s what I thought,too, especially with reference to the permanence…

Agree about pencil autographs and their value.  Another thing.... sometimes pencil autographs are hard to determine as to whether they are vintage or not.  Ink is often more apparent as to naturally aged looking or not.  I've grown to be especially careful with pencil autographs.

I agree with Steve’s comments.  Although some pencil signed autographs are worth as much or more than an ink autograph based on what is signed.

The composition of the pencil set in the OP is odd in that John and Ringo’s autographs are quite large compared to Paul’s and George’s.  This would affect the price IMO.

Off course, it depends on the signed item, but the fact that they are both on a paper sheet from the MMT times, it makes them a little bit more comparable, but it always helps to get opinions from experienced people. Thanks fab 432

The non personalized (ink set) also comes with a letter of provenance, which usually can be an extra increase in price since besides the what, when, where, and why, you also have Who exactly it was signed for.

Thanks for your assessments, that gave me a new depth in that topic.

And a big thank to Steve for the foundation of this site. I‘m am member since September 2022 and 

in that short time I’ve learned more about autographs than I‘ve learned in the last 20 years.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service