We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

There are a lot of great items available at auction this next week and I recognize most of them from the last 20 years but this new one on R&R has got me doubting myself and could use some help. 

It looks great but a little too familiar... anyone remember this one that was signed for the boy in the opening scene of the movie that sold at Bonhams like 5 years ago and again at Gotta Have It last year...

Is it possible that these were signed immediately after each other? There are extremely subtle differences in each signature but they are 99.9% identical.  I would love to hear your thoughts.

Views: 4747

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Omega auction description was similar. 

Wonder what happened to the other two pictures. I only got two. 

Ballroom, do you have the four provenance photos?

They weren’t actual photos. Just screen grabs from the opening scene of the movie.

Thanks, Ryan.

Were they screen grabs? That's odd. In any case, I haven't seen them.

If it was consigned by the person who got it signed as a boy it prob would have said that. It's a good sign that it didn't say that, considering it was sold before. 

Someone said something about how differences show in this year, or not, and I think 2 folks have spoken to and/or shown that. I would also be interested in seeing a comparison of size from signature to corresponding signature on the whole. As also asked today but I can't find it, better overlays might be useful. If I can I will make some. 

My primary interest in this set 5 years ago was the sheer size of George’s signature. I have never seen one (or two!) so big.

Very interesting - unusually large, on both and to the same % for each? Hmm.

Exactly. Just looking at the spacing on the two pieces makes me believe Richard’s is the original. Just looks more original. George saw the size of Johns and signed his the same size. The RR one you can’t tell the order, they’re all just bunched together.

Wow, what a great thread! Everyone has so many great points. I tend to agree with Ryan that one is a copy because of the ink blotting. 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service